Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Day 9 stims - looking better

I got up at 6am today to make it to the clinic shortly after 6:30am. There were 2 women there ahead of me, one of whom drives in from out of town and gets up at 4:30am to be here. She seems to bring her father along for the ride - I don't think mine would go for that!
They put me out of my faint misery earlier today (11:30am rather than 3pm), and said that I now have 7 follicles on each side between 10-17mm, with the E2 jumping to 5600. Thank God it rose well again! My nurse agreed that it was just my body adjusting to the orgalutran, and we hope it will continue to rise well from here. She thinks we'll end up with a Sat or Sun retrieval. I just hope I get somewhere around 15 mature eggs, and that most of them fertilize, as I'm pretty sure that we'll have a significant attrition after day3 due to DH's fragmented DNA kicking in. I would absolutely love to have 6 make it to blast and freeze so that we'll have some frozens for future attempts.
Other than that, work was actually a lot of fun today. I had a really nice surgeon and his resident who's awesome, a nice group of nurses, and 3 pretty healthy patients. I got to chill out and read my good book for a good part of the day while I kept an eye on things as they operated. I love multitasking so much, since I seem to get bored easily if I'm only doing one thing.
I figured out why DH isn't telling his family about the IVFs. He says it's because his Dad is a fairly conservative christian, and he's not sure how he feels about assisted reproduction. I'd never even thought of that. He should just feel grateful that we're going to great lengths to give him grandkids! I hope he starts to recover soon - he's still feeling really under the weather after his bypass operation nearly 3 weeks ago.

5 comments:

Victoria said...

Yippeeeee for the E2 jump. My advice, don't send all your embies to day 5 or 6. If you have enough, try to freeze even two before and then freeze what is left over from day 5. This is to make sure that just in case many don't last after day 5, you'll have back up. My friend had 4 blasts frozen, which was good.

the Babychaser: said...

It's interesting how everyone has a different take on how to handle the post-fertilization approach. My RE likes to wait until day 6 to freeze. She says that if the embryos aren't going to make it to day 6 pre-freeze, you're wasting your money freezing them because they won't make it after then. Just a thought, though.

I hope this goes well. The last few days of the stim cycle pretty much suck. Big heavy ovaries and a lot of stress over everything timing out right.

Hang in there. Hopefully this'll be the only time you have to do this!

Good luck!

Kate said...

I didn't know he'd do that. I'll have to ask and see.
4 frozen blasts is pretty impressive - I hope I get so lucky!

one-hit_wonder said...

Great news! Looking forward to the weekend!

I haven't told any friends or family in real life about the IVF, for the same reason. I don't want them to bug me about the ethical concerns; I've already agonized enough about them!

the Babychaser: said...

Hi. Just saw your post.

1. Haven't had a chance to talk to the RE about the lupron because my chart is with the insurance person right now and I don't dare take it away from her to put it in front of the doctor. Time for that later in the week.

2. Our thoughts on DS: it's JUST like a half-adoption. If your man's okay with adopting, he should be thrilled with going with DS. It's cheaper, easier, and if you're caucasian and looking for a baby of the same race, it's much faster. And you can control things like medical history, prenatal care, etc. AND no one is going to back out at the last minute and keep their baby.

I feel for you on this, though. J has always been open to the idea. In fact, with the exception of timing, he and I have been on the same page with all of our IF decisions. I think if we weren't it would have been very hard on both of us.

Keep me posted. Good luck.