Saturday, June 6, 2009

Apparently I can't use a needle properly

I managed to waste a vial of Menopur tonight. I went to dissolve it with the sterile saline, only to feel liquid dripping on my hand, and to realize that the prepackaged needle and syringe weren't actually securely together. That meant that I lost 1/3 of that half of the med dose, or about 15% of my 150IU Menopur dose for the day. I decided that I'd rather throw away about $70 of med than risk screwing up this all-important cycle. Now I'm feeling guiltly about it though. Maybe they'll give me a script to replace that vial? I had 11 days worth on hand, and I have a feeling I'll need all 11 days at least - I bet I won't trigger till day 12 or so. I'll have to ask the nurse tomorrow about a refill both for that and for the Gonal-F, since I only have 3 days of that left too.
It's hard for me to believe that I can now be a fully trained anesthetist (bar the last 4 weeks I have to go) who works with syringes and vials all day every day, and yet I can't manage to do this properly? Cripes!

2 comments:

one-hit_wonder said...

Oh how annoying! Especially when the meds cost so much. But yeah, better safe than sorry, especially where IVF is concerned.

Elisabeth said...

That bites and we all have those days at least you had more on hand but I agree definatly better safe then sorry