Monday, April 27, 2009

Who still apparently doesn't know how to use a Gonal-F pen?

Sheesh. You'd think after months on injects, I'd have fully read the package insert. I swear I did the first time.
Well, I got suspicious when I pulled out my fresh pen tonight and only saw the plunger really move with 4 of the 5 clicks. Hmm - same thing that I think happened last week the night before the big E2 drop from the 500s to the 400s. Cause I started a new pen then too.
Now that I read the package insert more carefully, I realized that you're supposed to "prime" the pen before first use, so that you eject the tiny air bubble (which I'm sure isn't a big deal, because the way I hold the pen to inject means that the air bubble rises to where the plunger is, and doesn't affect the amount of meds I get) and get a drop of liquid at the top of the needle. I've never done that in all the months I've used the pen. Anyhow, I decided to take matters into my own hands and give myself an extra 37.5IU, because I'm pretty sure I didn't get my full 187.5IU dose, but rather something like 150IU. I hope I didn't overdo it. I should be set for tomorrow night's dose now anyhow, since the pen is primed.
Boy do I feel stupid.

3 comments:

one-hit_wonder said...

Ooooooh. That would explain the estrogen drop.

Kate said...

Yeah - now I'm feeling a little bad for topping things off tonight, but I think a smidge more is better than a little less than I was supposed to get. Oops!

Victoria said...

I had to chuckle.