Friday, April 10, 2009

Finally - a good long night's sleep!

I finally got 10 hours of good sleep in last night. Should have, since I got all of 45min while on call the previous night. My brain was too fried to even post an update on my IVF review with our nurse.
Call was pretty brutal. We had emergency surgeries going all night, from the time I got there at 4am, right through till 7am the next morning when I had teaching. At least the 3 epidurals I got stuck doing were all at the same time, and all in nice skinny woman. Only one was a slight challenge, but they also luckily all worked perfectly on the first try. I totally hate it when they don't and I have to spend an extra 20-30min in there troubleshooting. I got pestered about pain service stuff till about 2am, which was a huge hassle. Did a couple quick consults. Spent 1.5 hours at a code blue (pretty tragic), and then had the luck to have a staff who actually hung out in the OR chatting with me once we got past about 2am and it was just the two of us still doing cases (we'd had another 2 rooms running up to that point). He told me a lot of good stuff about billing, chatted about the pain of the exams, and was generally good company. And even sent me off to have a break at 5:30am, since he said he would never go to sleep at that point anyhow, so I might as well get some rest if I wanted. That was super sweet and unexpected - a lot of them will bugger off to their call rooms and watch TV or sleep, leaving you alone for most of the night. Since I was so tired from exams and crap night's sleep pre-call, I really appreciated having someone to talk to through the wee hours of the morning.
So I went home, watched an episode of ER to stay awake, and then we went in for our IVF cycle review with our RN. Signed what felt like millions of consents. Paid our $11000 - DH put it on our credit card, and said it felt strangely normal to sign off on it. Of course it won't feel so normal paying that bill later on in the month! Heard all about selective reduction and how easily I could be cancelled for ovarian hyperstimulation. Was finally given a sharps container and something to take the needles off the GonalF pen (I've been struggling to click them off again with my thumbnails and tips of my thumbs, which has totally ruined the skin there).
I managed to talk her into giving us scripts for the drugs so we can direct-bill my insurance. Apparently they're just really really reluctant to give out scripts because they've had a lot of patients in the past not notice that they were running out of medication X, which isn't available universally at pharmacies without a good amount of notice, and then those patients end up calling the emergency hotline at the clinic at 10:30pm to say that they don't have the meds they need. I promised I would not do that, as I'm very on-the-ball with that sort of thing, and she agreed to provide us with scripts. Rather than wait around for her to have to do that immediately, we're going to pick them up next week in preparation for starting stims on Friday (assuming all looks good on the baseline scan on Thurs).
Sadly, I ended up caving in to DH on what to do with frozen embryos in the event of him dying before me. I felt pretty strongly that I would still want to be able to use them. He felt strongly that we're only meant to have children together, and that nothing should be any different than if we had to have sex to get pregnant. What I didn't want was to have an only child via IVF, and have the possibility to give that child siblings from frozen embryos, and not be able to use them. Anyhow, he won the battle.
So I've now taken my last OCP, and will be waiting for AF to arrive. As Jen said, "don't bother calling me with CD1, because it doesn't matter to me when that falls". She was glad to hear I hadn't bothered to tell her about the spotting I've had for the last couple weeks on the pill.
OK, time for a nice breakfast, and time to catch up on Desperate Housewives. I finished off the final season of ER last night, and was very sad to see it end.

3 comments:

one-hit_wonder said...

Ah, sleep must have felt so good!

Glad to hear that about the prescriptions: I will ask for them now, as well. I want to buy them at Glen Shields Pharmacy in Concord, since the mark-up is so low. (We don't have insurance.)

That embryo decision is such a tough call. We decided that in the event of sudden death, the surviving partner will have to figure out what to do (i.e., destroy them or donate to another couple). I know DH would have them destroyed, but I would probably want to give them to someone. I hope you're at peace with what you and your DH decided on, though. It is so hard.

I love Desperate Housewives, too! I missed most of Season II because of the absurdity surrounding the boy locked in the basement, but now I'm right back into it! :)

Kate said...

We decided to donate everything to research (excess sperm, immature eggs etc). DH would never agree to donate to another couple (just like he'll likely never agree to DS or DE if it were to come to that).
Did you get a price list on the meds from HFC? I may end up having to get some from them anyhow, if I can't get refills from another pharmacy in time. I'll see how it goes. Thought you'd like to know my news though - Jen really was reluctant to agree to the scripts, but eventually did.

one-hit_wonder said...

Baseline is Friday. I'm sure we'll meet up at some point, so I hope it works to grab coffee or something one day. I like the place on the ground floor of that building.

I haven't seen a price list. Come to think of it, that should have been included in our packages. I hope I can stick to my guns on insisting on scripts. It's not as though this is my first time, so they don't need to worry about me running out. Plus I live within walking distance of a pharmacy that stocks meds for an IF clinic, so that is a secure backup, if I do run out.