Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Other worries are distracting me a bit now

We found out yesterday that my FIL has severe triple vessel cardiac disease and needs bypass surgery ASAP. Of course he lives in Germany, so my poor SIL is dealing with this all by herself (well, with her DH too). And I can't be there, which really sucks. 2 weeks away from the final oral exam, I really can't hop on a plane to go be there for support.
I've slept so crappy the last 2 nights, the first wondering how his cardiac cath had gone, and last night wondering if he'd had the CABG yet or not. He called this morning at 5:45am to tell DH that he'd just found an SMS from him, and to tell us he was still waiting, and that the surgery might even be tomorrow. The waiting is killing me - I just want to know that he's had it done, and that he's doing ok in the ICU afterwards.
It's very weird, being on the other side of things and having a relative be the patient for a chance. I don't look at a CABG as being a big deal from the anesthesia side of things, especially when the patient is otherwise pretty healthy. But this is so different! I hope he does really well - he still misses his wife a lot (MIL died 3 years ago), but we all still need him to stick around a while longer.
Good thing I have a call shift tonight to take my mind off it all!

2 comments:

Victoria said...

Hang in there, Kate. Seems like everything goes wrong when there are important things to do. I don't know how you study. I'm struggling to write my thesis.

Elisabeth said...

Awww Kate I am soooooooooooo sorry. My thoughts are with you. We arrived safe and sound good luck with your appointment today