Monday, March 8, 2010

Stretch & sweep #2

I went to my doc appointment today, as expected. Mum came along and couldn't stop complaining about the wait. It all actually went faster than usual, since I was only there about 1h45min total.
We started off with a scan to estimate weight: 3524g (7lb 12oz). Doppler flow in the umbilical artery was good, her FHR was 130/min, and she was wiggling all over the place. The placenta is starting to look a little calcified, but the fluid level was normal and there was nothing to indicate anything to be concerned about.
Then a quick BP check (118/70) and off to the exam room to chat with the doctor. He came in, asked if I wanted to try another stretch & sweep, and I said it sounded better than ending up on pitocin in a couple days. He was definitely more aggressive about it this time, but it was more the shoving of the hand up the wazoo that was uncomfortable rather than whatever it was he was doing to the cervix. He said he'd ripped the membrane off entirely, so if that doesn't get the prostaglandins going, nothing will.
I had to make another appointment for next Monday in case I haven't gone into labour by 41w3d, at which point pitocin will be in my very near future. Now I'll just have to wait and see...

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope it works!!!!

sprogblogger said...

Ugh. Hoping that did the trick - no more interventions necessary! Blog stalking here, hoping it's ANY DAY NOW!!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm interested to know exactly how the "stretch & sweep" feels because my doctor said she'd be willing to do it at 39 weeks if I want. Is it very painful? How long does it last? I really hope it works for you. Glad to hear that baby is doing well. 7lb12oz seems like the perfect size baby to me.

Shelly said...

I predict you will go into labor tonight! Praying for you!

Anonymous said...

Hope you can bypass the pitocin! It sucks.

Anonymous said...

Whoops - sorry. ^^ That was me, Chris.

Kristy said...

Very exciting stuff! Keep us posted.

Victoria said...

I hope the baby will come soon. I had to wait almost 2wks before my soon came. I hope yours will be faster as the waiting time seems to go so slowly.

IF Optimist, then... said...

First of all, "Stretch and Sweep" does sound like a new "As seen on TV" type informercial that promises to clean your house and help you lose those excess pounds in only 5 minutes a day. Am I right? Heh?

OK. Seriously now. I'm hoping that this will do the trick and that little wiggly girl will come on out to meet her extraordinary, motivated, organized, amazing, smart, loving mom very soon.

Jill M. said...

Hope you're doing well and making good progress! Update us when you can.

MMC said...

My fingers are crossed for you. I can hardly wait for you to see your girl. It's such a great experience, Kate, and no matter what the obstacles were to getting there, you're going to be so delighted at the results. :)