Wednesday, March 24, 2010

8 days old

So far, so good, though I'm not posting much because typing with one hand is tough. This little girl is not a fan of being put down, so that means I get my sleep at night by having her sleep on her tummy on my chest. I'm hoping that as she gets a little bigger and her tummy fills up better, I'll be able to get her used to napping in her bassinet and the get her sleeping there too. For now, I'm just happy to be getting 6-7 hours of sleep a night despite the marathon feeding sessions.
We went to the dotor's on Monday, at 6 days old, and her weight had come back up to 3005g. So my mother's annoying email telling me to not be stubborn and that I needed to supplement her was way off base. Her weight was only down 6.3% a 4 days, whih was well within the normal limits of weight loss.
Breastfeeding has been getting better. She eats for 25-30min on each side right now - they'd probably tell me it would go faster if I'd strip her down to her onesie. I don't mind for now. The horrible pussy-looking blister on half my left nipple as gotten way better, and things are definitely not as tender any more. I've had a couple times where I started getting painful firm areas in each breast, but those seem to improve with me massaging the heck out of the area (ouch).
She's finally peeing and pooing well - has a couple diaper blowouts yesterday, and after the bad one, peed on the bathroom floor and my slipper when I decided I should wash off her bum and legs and back. What a mess!
Her umbilical cord fell iff during our first night at home. I think I may have accidentally pulled on the final thread, but there wasn't much bleeding or any pus, so things are ok there. Back next week for another weight check. We're going to apply for her passport that day too since we got her birth certificate already.
Time for a walk while it's warm and sunny, as it's going to rain and snow at the end of the week.

10 comments:

Jules a.k.a. Julie said...

I'm glad things are going well, Kate!! I can't wait to see new pics of Kara :-)

Shelly said...

She is beautiful and I love her name! Nevaeh is 15 days old and still has her umbilical cord!

Anonymous said...

8 days already! so glad things are going so well. and i'm glad you're getting 6-7 hours of sleep...sounds encouraging to this soon-to-be mama!

Clare said...

8 days seems to have flown by - good luck with everything, it must be amazing to have her in your life right now. Yay for breastfeeding and for nipples getting less sore!

Anonymous said...

Yay for her weight going back up and for breastfeeding getting better! It's funny, Birdie never would fall asleep ON me like so many babies like to do. I say do whatever you need to do to get some sleep during these first couple months.

Anonymous said...

how the hell are you getting 6-7 hours a night???? I am so jealous!!! You go girl - you guys sound like you are doing great!

Kate said...

Sounds like you are finding your way!
How great you've figured out ANY way to sleep-- I am so so glad.
and your little one is clearly thriving- so hush to your mom.

Looking forward to new pictures when you have time (HA!)-- no really, I am.
Hope your body is healing well from the delivery and that all continues to go well.

xo
kate

Once Upon A Time said...

You'll get better at typing one handed. I sure am! :)

Jill M. said...

Glad you proved your mom's annoying email wrong! Babies do not need to be supplemented, the colostrum is enough for them for the ~4 days it takes milk to come in. I believe supplementing and therefore not keeping the milk supply and demand up by breastfeeding is what causes many women problems like their milk not coming in. Now of course there are many other reasons for this, but I believe this big misconception prevents women from breastfeeding successfully. Anyhoo, can't wait to hear the next update. Hope all is well!

Anonymous said...

I'm late going through all your posts, but glad to hear that her weight is increasing just fine and I see you had to deal with the whole supplementing suggestion just like I did. Emma almost got down 10% but thankfully is on the uptrend now. Thanks for the suggestions on feeding with flailing baby arms.