My MFM appointment was this morning.
They redid the entire anatomy scan, and DH was able to be there this time. She went from being curled up in a ball by the cervix last week to being stretched out the length of my uterus this week. Head down, face buried in placenta, hands up around mouth and head and legs all stretched out with her feet right at the top of my uterus. She'd spin around when she wasn't supposed to, then not move when they needed her to change position to get another measurement. Everything checked out properly again, which was great. We had a couple fantastic views of her lips and mouth and nose that I'd never seen before, with her yawning massively a couple of times. Takes after both parents, by the looks of things. I think she's measuring slightly behind and a little on the skinny side at ~468g, but they said her weight was fine. They want to see a minimum of 500g at 24 weeks, so she ought to hit that if things continue as they've been going.
Then came the not-so-pleasant speculum exam + swabs to rule out any infections of any sort. Ouch! Now of course I'm spotting because of that, with my super-vascular cervix. Then I had the transvaginal ultrasound, where the closed part of my cervix is still at 5.8cm (Thank God!), but there's a smidge of funneling above that with fundal or suprapubic pressure. They said that they're not worried about it at this point, and would only get excited if the funneled part was more than 50% of the cervical length. I've never seen my cervix funnel at all before on my other scans, so I wasn't happy to see it at all.
Dr S (the one who gave us heck in L&D when we went two weeks ago) told me to cut back on my progesterone to twice a day, and see what happens to the uterine irritability. I'm also to stop taking my metformin, continue doing basically nothing at home, and come back weekly for the next few weeks to follow my cervix and see how things go. After 28 weeks, if all still looks good, I'll probably be able to go back to work part-time. He said he thinks that things will end up fine, but it's impossible to say for sure.
I also got the flu and H1N1 shots today. Adjuvanted. Dr S said there's no evidence either H1N1 version causes any problems for the fetus, and if anything, the adjuvanted out would provide the baby with better protection after it's born, as it produces better antibody levels. Since that was what they had on hand, and I could make a 5 minute stop to get the shot, rather than trucking up to my hospital (an hour each direction on public transit) or standing in line at a public health clinic for a few yours, that's what I got. We'll see how it goes. Too bad I hadn't been able to pick his brains a week ago, or I'd already be fully protected by the shot! He said that the nonadjuvanted one should be available in their clinic as of 12pm today, but when I stopped in at 12:25pm, the nurse there had heard nothing of it. And she thought that the nonadjuvanted one was going to be reserved for women in the first trimester.
And now, it's time to lie down on the couch again. We were there from 8:50am till 12:30pm. Hopefully next Wed's follow-up at 11am will be a little quicker!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
Congrats on getting the shot, and the good cervix news and seeing little one play around on the screen. So you've been on metformin this whole time? It's so weird how doctors differ on practices like this. Mine is adamant I get off now at 13 weeks.
All great news! Keep it coming!
Yeah, he really seems to want me off it now. My other OB said to consider staying on it throughout, since evidence was growing that it would help prevent gestational diabetes from developing in PCOS patients.
I'm glad the appointment went so well, and that you've had your shots done, etc. I had the adjuvanted one as well, and from everything I've read, there's no basis for concern. (And I hadn't heard about possibility of better antibody levels after the baby is born, so that cheers me up even more.)
That's wonderful that your scan went so well. One of my little girls yawned quite largely during our 20 week scan too which I thought was the cutest thing ever :). I've been debating the adjuvant vs. non-adjuvant H1N1 shot for weeks now and I am finally going to get the non-adjuvant one tomorrow. So confusing eh?
Hi Kate,
I'm a friend of The Real Bean and just jumped over here and saw you're in preterm labor. I went through that as well -- was hospitalized at 22.5 weeks and eventually delivered at 30 weeks. My daughter is doing well now at 10 months except for some minor stomach/eating issues. I was on terbutaline injections for the first 1.5 weeks in the hospital and then they started me on a cycle of terb pills for 5 days/indocin for 2. They did tell me, however, that they didn't usually treat preterm labor that early, but because mine was likely due to my unicornuate uterus, they made an exception. I hope your little girl stays in there for several more weeks!
Post a Comment