Friday, November 20, 2009

25 weeks!

One more down. Thank God! Only 3 more and I'll feel like I'm in a safer zone.

The kid seems to be sleeping lots this morning, so I haven't had any real kicks in the cervix/vagina yet today. Hoping she'll start up with the belly kicks soon for some reassurance.

Turns out my disability insurance timer started ticking when I went part-time in Sept. So as of the end of Oct when I was taken off work, I should get my whole $3000 per month. At least it's tax-free. And at the end of Nov, that should jump up to a grand $3500 per month. If I go back part-time, they call that residual disability, and should pay me about 50% of that figure, on top of what I earn. Get nothing while I'm back full-time, but if at some point I have to cut back again, I don't have any elimination period any more, and will go right back into whatever level of disability pay I was on before. That's a relief! Better than nothing, for sure.

Here's a really crummy belly pic from 25 weeks. Ignore the dirty mirror and poor lighting - I was just trying to get a quick shot in, rather than make it pretty. DH does the "pretty" ones, but since he doesn't edit them in a timely fashion, I've resorted to taking a few of my own.

Contrast isn't great, but you can still see the belly. It isn't all that big. I haven't really had any more weight gain in the last 1.5 weeks, only weighted about 68.5kg today. Whopping 6kg gain total (which is 13.2lb). Not so hot. Hope DH makes it home with some fattening thai takeout soon, since he was meeting a former colleague for lunch today. And when I tried measuring my fundal height yesterday, it was only measuring 20 weeks. Good thing I know that baby was fine the day before, even if 28th percentile weight isn't that impressive. Ah well, with two skinny parents (BMIs both around the 19-19.5 mark), I guess she isn't destined to be too chunky.

Must be time for a little chocolate to tide me over and get her moving a little again. I felt a couple nudges at 8am, but not much since. I did sleep for another couple hours after that though. Lazy life!

Tomorrow we're going to rent a car and drive around and try out mattresses and look at house stuff and baby stuff. Hopefully we'll have our stroller and car seat picked after that. Any recommendations? I'm drawn to the UppaBaby Vista stroller - hope I like it as much in person. The one store even has an indoor track of different surfaces that you can test drive the different strollers on, so that should be a fun stop. I can't believe that I actually get to start picking out baby stuff. Should be able to borrow lots of 0-3mo onesies and sleepers from SIL, after her baby grows out of them around Xmas. Hopefully we'll find a nice crib at one of the consignment stores. Plain white or wood with fixed sides, and very non-fussy is all I ask for.

4 comments:

MMC said...

On the subject of cribs, I'm pretty sure I'll be picking up one by (believe it or not) IKEA. It's called the "Leksvik." It has a impressively high safety rating, and it's one of the cheapest cribs I've seen advertised anywhere. Here's a review of it, in case anyone's interested.

I've got no other recommendations for you, unfortunately. The only substantial investment I've made in our baby's room so far is paint. Not that exciting. :)

Have fun shopping!

Jill M. said...

Cute belly!!! I got a feeling I'll be much bigger than you when I hit 25wks.

Anonymous said...

I love the hanging out belly pic! Beautiful.

Crib - we have one from Baby's Dream. LOVE it.

Stroller - We ended up getting the Graco Safeseat since I got a great deal on it. Just as highly rated but cheaper. Therefore, we just got a snap and go stroller. Which I liked. I really wanted the Inglesina Zippy when we got our "real" stroller but it is about $350-$400 USD and I wanted a BabyHawk carrier as well (almost $100 USD), so we decided on a Chicco Cortina since I found a deal on it. It is OK, but I think it is too big. Chicco Keyfit 30 and Cortina Stroller is a good travel system and what we had originally planned on getting until I found the Graco deal.

HIGHLY suggest the Amazing Miracle Blanket. It is a great swaddling blanket.

-Chris

Anonymous said...

Hi Kate..been following your blog for a few months..my baby girl is due Jan.10! We bought the Uppa Baby Vista a couple of weeks ago (well..we ordered a 2010 but paid in full..) we looked at tons of strollers incl the infamous Bugaboo and the Vista trumped them all. You'll love it! I see lots around downtown T.O. as well. Good luck! Kim