Sunday, November 22, 2009

Finally some real baby shopping got done

Well, not that we bought much, but the stroller has been decided upon: the Up.pa Baby Vis.ta 2010 model. Likely in green. The only downsides I could see to it were the 25" wide wheel base and being a little on the heavier side. On the other hand, both of those make it feel stable and solidly-built. Colours are great, and I love that it comes with bassinet and seat, both with these GIGANTIC 50SPF canopy extensions built in. Considering I'm as white as they come with freckles to boot, and can burn in 10-15min in the summer sun, I'm figuring the kid won't be much better off. Since she won't be able to wear sunblock during her first summer, I'll be counting on the stroller to keep her fully in the shade. We'll be able to use the bassinet as a little cot on the floor in our room for her to sleep in the first few months. We'll get a carseat adaptor so we have the option to take of bassinet and seat and just clip in our car seat instead. It folds with the regular seat attached, which is great. And has a huge basket underneath. And if we get so lucky as to have a second, there's an extra clip-on seat you can buy to put your toddler in while the other kid rides in the car seat or regular seat.
There really weren't that many other strollers out there that would have worked for two 6' tall parents with long strides. So this one is it! One other candidate (Mu.tsy) was much heavier, harder to change seat/bassinet on, didn't come with all the accessories, and can't be folded with the seat attached. Since this will likely be coming in and out the front door of our future house, and will be folded and stowed in the entry way, I'd like to be able to keep the seat attached to it while stored.
Car seat is a little more challenging. There aren't all that many options in Canada, sadly. We're narrowing it down to what can be clicked into our favourite stroller: Gr.aco, Pe.gP.erego, and Ch.icco. The PP is heavier than the other two, I think, but seems cushy and well-made. The Gs just felt kind of cheap, for the most part, and were harder to get in and out of the base. The C we didn't play with yesterday, because we didn't realize you could get an adaptor for it too - it's on our list to be looked at tomorrow.
And now, as usual, I'm annoyed that we live in Canada. The stroller costs $800 here. It costs US$670 most places in the US, with free shipping in the US. Here we have to pay 13% taxes on top of the purchase price. And not all the accessories I'd like to buy are sold here, as far as I can see. I'd like to get the rain shield for the bassinet (about the only thing the stroller doesn't come with), the car seat adaptor (available here), and the travel bag (for when we take it to Europe with us in the summer to see the in-laws). If only we had the same level of market competition here, the prices wouldn't be so ridiculously jacked up (considering the 1.07 exchange rate right now).
Ah well, I'm hoping that each of my parents will chip in to get this, since it's far more expensive than what we originally expected we get. The car seat will likely run us $200 as well. Costs for baby and house are quickly adding up here. At least the crib I liked was all of $140 at Ikea, and we may be able to get something cheaper elsewhere. Would love to buy one second hand and get a nice new mattress for it.
We also checked out a couple consignment stores. I don't want to get any more clothes yet, because I must confess that I've had a baby-clothing-to-secretly-store over the years, so I know I have a fair bit of stuff already. We'll supposedly also get a bunch of 0-3mo stuff from both my SIL and a friend from high school. We saw lots of toys and clothes in the stores though, and agree that that'll be the way to go for some of those things. Since the day couldn't end without a couple small purchases, we got a cute barely-used looking pair of baby Addidas shoes for $7.50 and a TinyLove gym (looks brand new) for $20. Not bad, when retail is $42-60US!
Sadly, one of the two contractors who was supposed to meet us at the house tomorrow called today to say he's working at an out-of-town location in the morning, and may not be able to make it, though he'll try. Darn it! I wanted some info from him before talking to the second contractor, since he's the one who did a lot of the original work on the house.
We also have to pick a moving company and book them for Jan, so that we're not too late on that. Make sure the title search went through, then hand in our notice for the apartment. And then have to start picking furniture and a new mattress etc. Decisions, decisions!
I'm starting to get anxious that I don't have my usual cervical length scan on Wed. I've got an off-and on weird pain on my right, sort of inside, worse if the uterus gets firm and I push on it, worse in certain positions. I'm slowly falling apart. I guess I should give this up for the night and go listen to my hypnobirthing relaxation CD, then practice a little of the relaxation stuff with DH. We'll see if that works!

5 comments:

IF Optimist, then... said...

I am exhausted just reading about all the things you have to do. Whew. Make sure to try try try to take it easy. The stroller shopping sounds exciting, sorry about the pricing difference. If you were in BC I'd happily get them and drive them up to you (for a dim sum luncheon in trade)...but alas I think you are very far away indeed. :-(

Anonymous said...

That is too bad about the prices...but it is very exciting as we are moving on to baby gear purchases!

We went with the Chicco - they were 189.00 each and I am amazed that they were already bought off of our registry - are you going to register and have a shower?

Some of the aches and pains of pregnancy are so freaking scary.

kayjay said...

We were stroller shopping too this past weekend and we were also astounded at the pricing. We didn't buy anything though and our selection is so much more limited but yes, we were lamenting about how much more things cost here along with our 13% tax rate on top of it all. I am very, very fortunate since I am one of the last to have kids in my circle of friends - I had 2 cribs and 2 high chairs plus a glider rocker given to me. I'm just looking for crib mattresses. Did you know that Moms to be and More has an "as is" store up on Doncaster? It's at the same location where another company can inspect (free) or install (not free) car seats so you may want to check it out. One girl whispered to me this weekend that she bought her stroller at the as is store and saved $300 so you may want to look at that place. I personally am completely overwhelmed with the amount of stuff we need to get but it is a good kind of problem to have no? :) As for your tightenings, it is very stressful I don't disagree at all but try to remember that you are past the viability point so every extra day she's in there, it's a bonus and improves her chances but IF she needs to come out, she has a goods shot outside too. Rest up & drink lots of fluids doctor!

MMC said...

Strollers are a daunting purchase. Fortunately, my mother got it into her head that she wanted to make that her baby gift to us, so I'm thrilled. No decision making AND I save a few bucks. (And no doubt, the stroller she gives us will rival the durability and style of our car. She's been a bit crazy insisting we need all sorts of extra features!)

I hope the hypnobirthing CD helped. I imagine it did... anything that eases your mind can only be a good thing.

Kristy said...

DH and I were away on a shopping trip this weekend and I was behind on your posts. The funny thing is we bought an UPPABaby Vista this weekend! We love it. We tried out a whole bunch but it was far superior. We ended up getting the 2009 because they were clearing them out to make room for the 2010 and got it for $575. I got it in blue which is no longer available but so pretty. The green looks really cool too!