Mine are apparently not working. Though I'm very thankful that my prayers for a strong and unchanging cervix have been answered so far. 23w1d today, and I've still got a long ways to go, but I've come a long ways since all this started 7 weeks ago.
Logically I know I should start to relax and ignore things a little, but then I worry that I might miss it if anything changes, and if I would then seek help too late. Staying hydrated and keeping my tummy full and my bladder empty seem to help a little, but I'll still have a couple hours a day where I get clusters of strong tightenings. Yuck. In another 5 weeks, when I pass the 28 week mark, I think I'll start to feel a little better (as long as things stay stable).
The good news is that all is ok at work without me. I spoke with the department chief on Thursday, and they haven't had to cancel any ORs because I'm not there, and things are going well. The other girl, D, who started working there part-time at the same time I did, told me Wed night that she had just told our chief that she's 4 months along - surprise! She hadn't even let on to me, when she ought to have known I'd keep her secret just as well as I'd kept my own. The chief was apparently also very nice to her, and just asked her if the other girl who's to start in Jan when she finishes her mat leave (I think she had her daughter late April) had just had a baby, or was she likely to show up pregnant too. Since we're apparently slightly overstaffed for next summer, mat leaves and all that jazz are supposedly going to work out fairly well too. Thank God for that!
My energetic daughter continues to keep me happily aware of her presence. The belly bulges are getting bigger and the kicks and punches stronger, and the feeling when I think she must be rolling around or flipping over in there is very very weird. It occasionally gets me wondering if it's another contraction, or just the baby stretching out and making things taut, the sensation is so strong. I have a feeling I'm going to have to swaddle the heck out of this child after she's born to let her have even a chance of sleeping a decent amount of time without her waking herself up with flailing limbs.
So for now, I'll just keep praying daily for a healthy baby that spends at least another 8-10 weeks inside me before making an appearance. I hope God has a plan to keep us going for a long while longer, after he brought us this far already.
Only 4 days to go till my next MFM appointment and cervical check. It feels like I just have one appointment, and already I'm counting down to the next. The reassurance of a good long cervix only tends to last for an evening, and then I'm worried all over again.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

10 comments:
Yo! Kate's uterus! This is Mo. Knock it off!!!
Hope that helps.
Mo
I hope that she stays put for at least 10 weeks at the very least!
Hope she stays put. I'm glad you're so close to 24 weeks, though. :)
Isn't it a weird feeling to have the babe roll around inside? I can only compare it to a sudden change in the weather - when the barometric pressure is changing. That's how my uterus feels: as though the barometric pressure suddenly goes crazy!
Dear Kate's Uterus,
Please stop being so irritable and start being nice and calm.
-----------------------------------
I have had the rolling baby feeling twice so far and it is so weird and impossible to describe. I'm glad your uterus is having little to no effect on the cervix and I'm sure it will stay that way. You'll probably go overdue and have to be induced!
I wish this were simpler for you-- that your uterus was calmer--
and I will be hoping like mad that she hangs in there as long as possible-
take care and sensing warm thoughts your way,
Kate
I'm sorry for all the anxiety this must be causing you. Just try and gain some comfort by remembering how long this has been going on already with no ill effects. (Are you still on those injections, by the way? They don't seem to help much!)
Staying hydrated is good. I also wonder if some kind of sedative could be prescribed. I seem to recall hearing that it used to be fairly common (in the bad old days) for women to be encouraged to drink a bit of alcohol to back off early contractions. So I wonder if maybe there's some modern, safer alternative to that.
Also, I think there's some research about certain doses of calcium/magnesium being useful for calming the uterus, too.
Good luck. And don't stress too much.:)
OK First of all, listen up Kate's uterus, we are all counting on you to keep calm control over that little squirming stretching chickie in there. I know she wants to get out to see her Mom, but you will just have to convince her know that good girls are like good cookies. They need the right amount of time to bake to their perfect sweetness!
Glad to know you have made it so far along, sending our prayers to the universe that a couple more months without issue would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks guys! Interestingly, things seemeds calmer yesterday evening than they'd been in a couple days, so who knows, maybe these stern talking-to's have worked a little??
Well...since everyone else yelled at your uterus...
Dear Kate's Baby,
Go to your womb, and stay there. Consider yourself grounded, young lady.
********************
It's an old joke, but I'm in one of those cheesy moods today. Hope you are continuing to feel better!!
Post a Comment