I saw a different MFM doc today. All looked good on the ultrasound. They did her first BPP without me realizing it (scored 8/8), she's apparently about 705g (28th percentile, so small), and her femur is the part of her that's measuring the smallest. Strange, with two parents who are 6' tall! The nurse scanning me today measured the cervical length at somewhere between 4.8-5.4cm. Still long and closed. And I don't know that she got it measured quite as accurately as the previous two nurses did. So it's shorter than last time, but still super long according to them. I have a feeling when it's that long, they're less concerned with getting super accurate lengths, and are just happy to see it looks good.
I got sent out to wait for a consult room to become available, and she was moving around like wild. On the U/S, she started out sitting cross-legged on my cervix, then a minute later she had her hands and feet up above her head again. Out in the waiting area, I think I felt a leg move back down, and she was bouncing around like mad. So much that I could see the bulges through my sweatpants and shirt. It was pretty neat.
I don't know if Dr R read everything in my chart closely, but he realized when we were doing my disability form together that I'm off work. Dr S knew that, of course, since he was the one who ordered it. Dr R said that I could trial going back to work if I wanted and see them next week, or I can increase my activity level at home and see how things look in 2 weeks time. I think option 2 is safer, given that I'm still not even 25 weeks along. If all looks good in 2 weeks after I've been getting around and sitting up more, I'll feel pretty comfortable starting back to work, at least part time. Dr R seems to think that the way things have progressed, I may just be someone with an irritable uterus, but that it has no effect on the outcome of the pregnancy. That would be such a relief it that's the case! When all this started at 16w2d, I was so certain that I'd never be able to make it to 24 weeks, and had the occasional crying jag. Now that I've made it through 8.5 weeks of irritability and things are pretty stable, I'm feeling much reassured.
I also found out today that if my income was reduced more than 20% by cutting back to part-time, that counts towards my elimination period, and I may be eligible to receive a portion of my disability pay. Better than nothing! Someone is coming over on Friday morning to help me sort through the paperwork and get the financial stuff in order, so I may know more then. Those forms (which I worked on late last night) were a total killer.
Now that I'm to increase my activity level, I think we're going to rent a car for the weekend and drive around to check out some baby stuff and furniture. Should be fun, I think! Hopefully I won't get all anxious and freaked out by it. I hope we can finally settle on a carseat and stroller, and figure out what mattress we want to get for our new king sized bed.
Getting things to progress on the house is another matter - can't get in to check it out with contractors on Sat, so I hope next week will work. I'd like to book someone in the next week or so, so that we're not out of luck come Jan when we want to reno the basement.
Thank you God for another good week!
ETA, since someone asked:
Biophysical profile (BPP)
The BPP consists of NST combined with four observations made by ultrasonography.
· Nonstress test (which, if all four ultrasound components are normal, may be omitted without compromising the validity of the test results).
· Fetal breathing movements (≥1 episodes of rhythmic fetal breathing movements of >30 seconds within 30 minutes).
· Fetal movement (>3 discrete body or limb movements within 30 minutes).
· Fetal tonus (>1 episodes of extension of a fetal extremity with return to flexion, or opening or closing of a hand).
· Amniotic fluid volume (amniotic fluid index (AFI) >5 cm or a single vertical pocket of amniotic fluid >2 cm is adequate amniotic fluid).
Each of the five components is assigned a score of either 2 (normal or present see above) or 0 (abnormal, absent, or insufficient). A total score of 8 or 10 is normal, a score of 6 is considered equivocal, and a score of 4 or less is abnormal. Regardless of the score, if oligohydramnios (AFI <5 cm or a largest vertical pocket of amniotic fluid <2 cm), further evaluation is warranted.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
Glad your cervix is cooperating and hope that the increase in activity goes well. Hang in there! :-)
Wow, that's a great cervical length! I hope mine lengthens some, it's only 3cm now. So glad all is going good for you. Beautiful belly pic in your previous post.
I wanted to thank you for the reassuring post you just left on my blog about the CRL. I've really been stressing that 1 week ago I measured 7w6d at 7w6d and then at 8w6d, I was only measuring 8w1d or 8w3d. So the fetus only grew 3-5 days over that last 7? Your comment gave me a lot of peace, so thank you!
Sounds like a great appointment. So happy to know you and the baby are doing well and have made to almost 25 weeks. Hope that you get some of your wages back. I'm sure you'll need every penny with the little one and the new home. Best wishes for many more good weeks to come.
Sounds like a good appointment! :)
Dan's femur was always the shortest as well (and of course I freaked out). But I of course should not have considering I am only 5 foot and DH is only 5'8, 5'9! Dan is still only 5% in height.
Enjoy baby gear shopping!
-Chris
That's all such good news, especially being able to increase your activity. (So, will you be skiing this weekend...?) ;)
Joking aside, can someone tell me what "BPP" is? Thanks. I'm constantly lost with all the abbreviations everyone else seems to know!
BPP is a biophysical profile. Scored out of 8, with 2 points given to fetal tone, large fetal movement, fetal breathing practice, and amniotic fluid level.
Guess I should add this to my post so everyone knows!
Post a Comment