We had a nearly 3 hour consult with a pediatrician, dietician and lactation consultant this afternoon, after they called this morning to see if we could make it.
Latch seemed ok, but I'm supposed to do breast compressions as soon as she slows to nibbling, and go back to supplementing with the EBM at the breast with the tube. I had been finger feeding, but they say at the breast is way better because it will stimulate milk production and frustrate her less than the slow flow through the tube. They said to avoid the bottle even when I go back to work so that she doesn't fall in love with the faster flow. I'm supposed to get DH to cup feed her instead if we can swing it.
They charted her weights out on the WHO chart for girls, and she was starting to follow the 3%ile curve, and dropped off to just below it over the time just before and while I was away. I'm to supplement her till she doesn't want any more, and if my breast milk doesn't cut it, either get milk from a milk bank or cave in and give formula. Damn.
2mo appointment (belated) tomorrow. Oh, and they extended the frenulotomy a little, poor baby.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Breast feeding comes so easily for some babies and not so easily for others. I admire your determination to see it through but I know you'll have to make a decision soon if continues. I had never heard the term frenulotomy so I had to look it up. Cheers.
I'm sorry that this is turning out to be so much work for you two. I'm just amazed by your dedication to this. I wouldn't be happy about the milk bank/formula recommendation, but if she needs it, at least it's there. And it's great that you are going through the trouble to check out everything else related to her feedings too. It would be nice if there was an easier fix to all this.
I totally get where you're coming from and how difficult this is for you. You are so incredibly dedicated to BF and your daughter is very lucky to have a Mom who is willing to do whatever it takes for her. One of my girls had her frenulum snipped as well and I agree - poor baby! A gold star to you for hanging in throughout all of this and continuing to search for ways and not giving up.
Post a Comment