Saturday, May 22, 2010

Hope the less frequent feeding is ok!

Kara seems to be settling into a less-frequent feeding routine, which I hope won't negatively impact my supply, given all the issues I've had. She seems to go 4-5h between feeds at night, and occasionally has a stretch that long during the day as well. Otherwise it's more like every 2.5-3.5h. I feel bad when I let her go that long, but also don't want to keep waking her from a nice long nap, which she may well need too.
Any opinions? Do they stop needing to feed so frequently at around 9-10weeks?

10 comments:

K said...

Uh oh- I've been letting Wale.ed sleep as long as he wants. His pediatrician said that I don't have to wake to feed him anymore and I can let him tell me when he wants to eat. Sometimes he goes 4.5 hours without eating and he's only 15 days old...

Shelly said...

Nevaeh is 2 1/2 months old now. She goes 4 hours during the day and as long as 6-8 hours at night! She continues to gain weight and grow on schedule! :-)

Anonymous said...

My little guy has been sleeping through the night since 4 weeks and I'm Bfing. He goes sometimes 4-5 hours during the day, although that is rare. Last night (he's 11 weeks old), he went 10 hours...and he's gaining like a champ.

They'll let you know when they want to eat - and they typically aren't patient when they want it!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Gah so jealous - my guys are 2.5 months roughly and go 2.5-3 hours during the day and maybe 5 hours between the 9-10 pm and 2-3 am feeding...

My pedi said in the beginning to wake them every 3 hours to eat, then 4. I am going to stay on that schedule so that they keep their days/nights straight...

lilly said...

i don't have any advice...i'm just piping up to say i'm so jealous of all these babies' sleeping patterns!!! i can only hope my little one starts to sleep for longer stretches during the night very soon!

R.J. said...

I don't have any advice but glad to hear she is sleeping well!

Anonymous said...

Emma feeds every 3 hours during the day, but at night, she usually goes 7-8 hours. So I think you are a-ok.

Anonymous said...

I breast fed my daughter for 20 months with some siginifcant latching problems at first and yeast infection at 8 months.

So my thoughts are if she is taking longer breaks between feedings she is ready for it assuming she is gaining weight. You will adapt. If you think your supply is getting too low and she is hungry for more, you could pump in between.

Karen said...

Was glad to return home from Boston to read that K. is doing sooooooo well.And I finally have a new Grandson,Trevon.....they have waited yrs this this gift from God!......blessings to you and yours.

Once Upon A Time said...

I think you're okay, but if you would feel better, you could wake her if she goes more than 3 hours from her last feeding during the day. Doing that might help increase the length between her night feedings, too.

My two eat every 3 hours during the day, and I'll wake them if they go longer, to encourage longer night sleep. Since Anna can go from 9 pm until 6:30 am, I think it works. :)