Saturday, May 29, 2010

Neverending stress

We had a followup peds appointment for K's torticollis yesterday. They didn't pay much attention to her neck, but rather to her weight gain. She weighed 4040g, for minimal gain in 9 days, and a drop from the 10th to the 3rd percentile. HC only 36.5, length 38cm. They decided to refer us to a breastfeeding specialist pediatrician and his lactation consultant.
I reweighted her at home on my own scale and got 4150g, and later measured her head circumference at 38cm, which doesn't seem like any gowth from last time I measured it. Length was 60.5cm by my measurements. Argh! The worry never ends!
So much for slacking off on feeding ebery 2.5-3h and waking her at night to feed. And for not trying to force a little extra down after each feed.
In other news, we made it back from Europe with only one 5-10min crying fit on the plane. She didn't want to eat or suck, started to scream out of the blue, and was inconsolable until she finally stopped. The rest of the trip was pretty uneventful, though she was fussier and needed more entertaining than she had on the way there.

6 comments:

Amanda said...

I think with your kids, it doesn't matter, there will always be something causing stress. I keep looking forward to a break in the stress but it doesn't come, and I imagine it will only get worse. I guess that's what it means to be a parent.

I hope this new ped and his consultant are helpful and supportive.

I bet those 5-10 minutes on the plane felt like an eternity!

kayjay said...

I am so impressed that you were brave enough to travel with your newborn!! Glad to hear you made it home okay although I agree with the PP that the 10 minutes she cried must have felt like an eternity because you didn't know how long it was going to continue for!

As for BF, I am still nursing my girls every 2 hours and they're 4 months old now so I don't think you're overdoing it if you go back to nursing more often. They're on 100% BM and I figure it doesn't last very long and this is what we have to do to stay on 100% BM. Hopefully the new doctor (Dr. Newman by any chance?) will be able to help you. BTW, I also offer my girls top up bottles after every feed to make sure they're as full as they can be.

You are so right with your comment about there always being something to worry about as a parent. How do parents function??? I'm finding this is very true as well but everyone keeps telling me that you can only do what you can do and make the best decisions possible in the moment.

Kate said...

Wow, every 2 hours? I would't be able to keep up with feeding and pumping at that rate.
No, the new doc isn't Newman, ut some woman ped. Hope we get in to see her soon!

Victoria said...

Welcome back to TO, I sometimes think I'm still living there. I guess the trip to Europe was good so something just had to happen on your way back. But 10 mins on a plane will certainly seem like eternity. All the best with the new doc.

Karen said...

Going to Europe with a newborn!How brave you are and what a strong little trooper K. is.I know you're stressing because of weight issues but try to relax a little.She obviously is a strong little girl and bottom lin is that is what you want!Just posted a pic of my grandson on my blog.He feeds every 2 hrs and my dil is exhausted and has lost over 20 lbs sin 5/11.....Blessings to you you and yours

Geohde said...

I really wouldn't fret it. I stopped going to my child health nurse. My babies were both perfectly healthy and developmentally fine and eating when they wanted adequately for THEM and I got sick of being annoyed about weight or lack of it.

For the record my smaller twin is a vigorously healthy 8.5 kg at nearly two. Who cares? :)

g