Sunday, May 9, 2010

My first Mother's Day

I'm a little sad I won't have more than a full tummy and a fleeting "Happy Mother's Day" whispered in the night to remember this by, but having a healthy (if skinny) daughter makes up for the lack of physical mementos. (I was hoping for a slightly sappy card from DH and K, but didn't get one. I don't need presents, but it's nice to have some physical thing to look at down the road.)
K is back to being supplemented more, since the weight gain totally crapped out after I cut her off pretty much cold turkey on Monday. I'll try to slowly decrease the amount she's getting via the tube and see how that goes by Wed when we take off on vacation. I don't want to come back from two weeks away and go into our 2 month check-up only to hear that I've starved my baby the entire time and now desperately have to start formula to make up for it. I'd rather pump and supplement, even if it is a huge pain in the ass.
I suppose I should take advantage of her sleeping in her bassinet for once to go and start packing for the trip (while DH curses in the kitchen as he cooks dinner). And when we come home from vacation, I'll have to start following the babywhis.perer book's advice about getting her playing and sleeping independently. I hope I don't regret the cosleeping and snuggling her to sleep each time she has a nap or at night. It's just so lovely to have her to cuddle after such a long wait for her.

5 comments:

Springroll said...

Happy Mother's Day, Kate!
I know what you mean about the cuddling...I do it, too, and I fear that I have now spoiled Mason. He won't go to sleep without being cuddled to sleep...hmm...sleep training seminars, here I come!!

Amanda said...

Happy Mother's day!

Have you heard about a book called Making More Milk: http://www.amazon.com/Breastfeeding-Mothers-Guide-Making-More/dp/007159857X I've heard good things about it from some other bloggers, you might look into it.

Jill M. said...

Happy Mother's Day!!!!

Anonymous said...

I was hoping for a card about it being my first mothers day. DH got me a card, but it was kind of a silly generic "to my wife" one, not having anything to do with finally being a mom. I think I should have been more specific and told him what he needed to get!
I hope you have a good vacation. Where are you going? I agree, I am a little worried that I always have to nurse Birdie to sleep, but really, this time in their life is so fleeting, and I love that special snuggling time with her.

Victoria said...

A Happy (belated) Mother's Day wish for you, Kate. You've been blessed with a wonderful and beautiful daugther and I hope your experience of being a mother will get better and better as the years go by.

Have a wonderful trip.

I hope the feeding will work out soon.