Wednesday, May 12, 2010

What size diapers?

K's weight was up to 3.84kg today, or about 8lb7oz. Finally gaining again! Guess the EBM supplementing does the trick. I'll have to continue working on her latch and pumping the next couple weeks while we're gone, and see if we can wean off the supplement when we get home.

Now I'm in a quandry. We're using cloth prefolds and the Thirsti.es DuoWr.ap covers at home. On vacation, we won't have our handy diaper service and we certainly won't be dragging enough cloth prefolds along to do laundry every few days and keep going with what we're used to. So back to disposables it is. We still have some Pam.pers NB, though they now seem a little tight on her scrawny thighs, and barely come to her hipbones. DH bought a pack of Hug.gies NB (given the dry max controversy) to take along, which are also supposed to go to 10lb. I don't know if I should rush out and exchange them for size 1s or not. Cloth is much more flexible!

ETA: I think she's a bit over 23" long now.

8 comments:

Amanda said...

Probably 1's. When we were still using disposables he outgrew the NB's in a couple days before he hit the weight limit too. We stopped using them shortly after that.

We had pretty bad leak issues with the breastmilk poo... Huggies were a disaster for us (they have a special "scoop" to keep the poo from squishing out the top but wearing those diapers was the only time that has ever happened to us) but I hear many people are having problems with the new pampers and rashes. I've heard some good things about the target brand if you have access to those. Good luck.

Jill M. said...

I'm unsure of the disposable sizes, but I'm interested to hear if you like the Thirsties Duos?

Anonymous said...

Emma is 9lb 1 oz and 21 inches and I just moved her up to size 1. She could still fit in NB but they were giving her some red lines where they seemed a bit tight. Size 1s will look big but are probably the safe bet. From what I hear, and don't have enough experience yet to verify, is that Huggies run smaller than Pampers.

Sandibeach said...

Go to size 1 for sure... and huggies were also disaster for us... pampers is much better!

Michelle said...

Wow, interesting comments. To answer your question about size, certainly go to size 1. They'll seem too big but they'll protect her clothes from the explosive blowouts and by the time you get back she'll likely have outgrown the NB ones anyway.

As far as brand, Pampers have been AWFUL for all my boys. Never because of a rash but because Pampers just don't stay on their hineys. K may not have that problem since she likely doesn't have much of a booty yet, but the Pampers just droop and by the next diaper change their little butt crack was always hanging out... often with poop squirting out, too. Huggies have an elasticized waist and Pampers only does in the premium style.

Anonymous said...

I would think size 1 definitely. When we were in the hospital, they used size 1's on all the newborns. Even if they are a little big, they will work.
We have been using Pampers Swaddlers Sensitive on Birdie, but we stocked up months ago and haven't tried the new dry max kind with all the controversy. She has very sensitive skin and I am dreading finding out if the new kind will be a problem. We have tried Huggies Pure and Natural, and they seem great but just don't fit her little bum that well and leaked a bit. Pampers swaddlers fit her better, but the Huggies have an elastic waistband and 'poo catcher' in the back. Maybe buy a small package of each and see how they work for K.
Have a great trip!

Dandle Dreams said...

Enjoy your vacation. She'll be a frequent flyer in no time.

Hope that you found the perfect diapers.

Once Upon A Time said...

Size 1's. You can get the pampers sensitives without the Dry Max, although we used one bag before the issues were publicized and we had no problem. Pampers are a little longer and Huggies are a little squatter, so with how long and lean she is, I'd think Pampers would fit her better.