DH went over to the house again this morning to see what was up. They're pretty sure that the problem will be confined to the basement, which they feel was altered after the inspections that must have been done. Apparently the previous fixtures are garbage, as there wasn't much space in the ceiling to put them in, and so whoever installed them cut open the casing and did weird stuff to make them shallower. Though they haven't checked yet what's going on elsewhere in the house, they're pretty sure that the installations there will have been done later on and will be up to code. I sure hope they're right! They also told DH that they're installing the fixtures basically at cost, and since we live in a very expensive city, I'd believe it.
Otherwise, supposedly things are coming along reasonably well. It feels weird to not be there every day checking what's changed, and I don't know that DH has taken any photos for me. As of tomorrow night though, we'll be living in the house. So I'll be able to check in on things when I come home every day from now on.
Tonight is final (well, sort of) packing night. We've still got a minivan rented for another couple days, so whatever's not ready for the movers (we're having them deal with all the furniture and heavy things), we'll be able to take along over after the "move" is done. I'll look forward to settling in at the new place, though it won't get very settled until we purchase bookshelves for upstairs and until the basement is finished. And since I have hundreds if not thousands of books, I don't know where I'll put them all. Lots are children's books I've collected over the years, lots are cheapo trashy kinds of books picked up at library sales that I'll likely read once and donate to the hospital book cart or something. I guess I'll find out as I unpack, because I really don't much remember what I have where!
Squirmy was really very entertaining today. I had feet flailing around just under my ribs, and she had the hiccups 2-3 times. She did some massive movements that jerked my whole belly around a few times too. I had a few little contractions that I could feel really putting pressure on my cervix, but nothing sustained. Looks like we'll at least make it into the new house before she shows up! Hope she holds off for a few more weeks though, both so that she's closer to term, and so that I can earn more money in order to pay for these renos and unexpected nasty surprises.
And now, I'd better get packing again!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
So glad the repairs are limited...and how exciting to be moving! Good luck!
Congratulations on finishing up the packing. I hope that you discover forgotten jems in the unpacking, and that you can find a good spot for all those children's books that you'll be needing soon.
Hiccups! How cool!
Hope the renovation goes smoothly (no more surprises) and that you get to work a little longer since you want to.
your last pic is so beautiful! your belly looks great,
and
just wishing you all the best on all fronts as you deal with the move, the stuff and the light fixtures (!)--
warmly,
Kate
Post a Comment