Our real estate agent says that we've exhausted our walk-throughs. She only put 2 in our contract, and didn't mention that we should save one for a couple days prior to closing. The seller told us we could come in more often than that, no problems. Then he got his knickers in a twist and wanted no further contact from us. And because of that we're getting very uncomfortable being a week away from closing, with no walk-through left. If he hadn't gotten weird, we wouldn't have been at all concerned. Our agent says that she's only had one little problem on closing in all her years in real estate, and that was taken care of by one letter from the buyer's lawyer.
We'd also been told that we could buy master bath mirrors, bedroom mirror, and bed frame and bedside tables (attached to the wall in the master bedroom). He brought things up bit by bit over the couple months after closing while he was still friendly. Price for the bed frame and bedside tables was initially mentioned as being "a couple good bottles of scotch", or about $500. Price for the mirrors $600. Then the seller decided he wanted to take this cable light system from the basement, even though no light fixtures were excluded in the agreement of sale. We thought we'd negotiate that he could take the light in exchange for giving us some of the bed/mirrors stuff. He then came back with an offer that he's left the cable light system (though only 3 of the 5 fixtures that were on it, as our agent figured out when she went back and looked at photos) and will sell us the bed, bedside tables, and mirrors for $1500, "non-negotiable". Higher price, and a lamp that we don't even want, since potlights will be going in that room during our reno of the basement.So today, we're hoping our agent can get some answers. And I'm intending to call our lawyer to see what's kosher or not. We'd like a walk-through prior to closing. And I said she should say that we're a little confused because the original offers had been $1100 for the furniture and mirrors, and the light with all 5 fixtures was not excluded. So he can choose: complete light + furniture/mirrors for $1500, or he can take the whole light and sell us the stuff for $1100 as originally suggested.
And if he doesn't agree to that and decides to take everything? Well, it'll be more expensive and a pain in the ass for us to replace the furniture and mirrors, but we'll do it. And maybe find something we like even more. Though I'd be annoyed if I had to spend the final weeks of my pregnancy sleeping on a mattress on the floor because we don't yet have a bed frame. DH said we'd buy a floor model from somewhere so we could take delivery quickly, but I'm not going to compromise on something that we'll hopefully be sleeping on for the next 20+ years.
I'm anxious to see what happens today. And super tired because we were up late talking about all this (he didn't get back from a business trip till nearly 11pm) and then I had trouble sleeping after my mind started churning during my 4:30am trip to the bathroom.
Wish us luck please that things work out!
And if he doesn't agree to that and decides to take everything? Well, it'll be more expensive and a pain in the ass for us to replace the furniture and mirrors, but we'll do it. And maybe find something we like even more. Though I'd be annoyed if I had to spend the final weeks of my pregnancy sleeping on a mattress on the floor because we don't yet have a bed frame. DH said we'd buy a floor model from somewhere so we could take delivery quickly, but I'm not going to compromise on something that we'll hopefully be sleeping on for the next 20+ years.
I'm anxious to see what happens today. And super tired because we were up late talking about all this (he didn't get back from a business trip till nearly 11pm) and then I had trouble sleeping after my mind started churning during my 4:30am trip to the bathroom.
Wish us luck please that things work out!

8 comments:
Oh yuck! That is really stressful trying to close a house and having the seller reneg on details. I say go with what your lawyer is saying and stick to the contract, especially if he is not going to give on letting you come in one more time before closing. You have a contract that says none of the light fixtures are excluded so they should come with the house! As for the bedframe, that is one thing I think you can justify splurging a little - think of the next 30 years you're going to use it and how much you're going to be lying in it once baby arrives. We bought ours from Pottery Barn and got it shipped out and in my home within a week so there are lots of places that have bed frames that can be delivered ASAP. I think at Crate & Barrel, you can go to their warehouse to pick it up yourself it you want! Try not to worry too much...it will all work out in the end. You will get your house.
Sounds messy! One thing to remember is that anything that is attached to a wall cannot be legally taken by the seller unless stated in the agreement. Your lawyer will know everything and should take care of it all for you.
I hate hate hate buying houses - I have bought 2 and it was a nightmare the first time and just a little better the second...
Hmm. Attached to a wall? That would be the bedside table and bed frame. They are securely attached. Well, we'll see what he says.
Wow- what a lot to deal with! Good luck getting everything straightened out.
I wish I could post in another language like Walter :)
Thanks for stopping by my blog recently.
I looked at your belly pic and you look amazing! Good luck with the house drama...this is not a time to have to deal with stressful crap like that.
That sounds weird. I get that you "used up" your two walk throughs, but how can you close on a house you haven't seen right before closing? what if things are different? We went "by owner" with the house we have so we had walked through at least 3-5 times..... I think that you should demand it. As an attorney I just worry about what could be different in the house. I get that the owner is tired or annoyed or whatever but tough cookies, he's selling a house in a down market and he needs to accomodate you guys. At least that's my two cents :)
Post a Comment