Wednesday, January 6, 2010

OB update 31w5d

I had another interminable OB appointment today. Start to finish I was there for almost 3 hours, but only spent 5 min talking to the doctor, 5 min with the nurse for the BP and urine checks, and then all of about 5 min getting the growth scan and BPP done. Pretty sad that I had to do all that waiting for about 15 minutes of face time!
They didn't seem at all concerned about the spotting. I mentioned it to the nurse, who noted it in the antenatal record, but she seemed to agree that since it stopped and the baby's moving well, there's nothing to worry about with that.
The reddish blotchiness on my stomach/bump that I forgot to ask about 3 weeks ago at my last appointment (which I thought might be some kind of rash) is apparently just from increased blood flow, which had become my conclusion over the last couple weeks. I think it may be more decreased venous drainage, but whatever, it's nothing to worry about.
My BP was 110/60 and I'm up just over 23lb to 73.2kg. I guess what I must have eaten in extra calories over Christmas must have made up for my not-so-stellar appetite over the last week that I've been sick.
I asked what the baby had weighed on the last ultrasound, and was told just under 1400g. That was 3 weeks ago. Today, she only weighed 1611g, and the largest measurement was again her BPD (biparietal diameter, or the width of her skull). Head circumference was next, then the femur length (which was about a week behind, I think), and the abdominal circumference was about 2 weeks behind. I had the doctor bring up the growth curve on his computer (since they've got a cool program that automatically tracks all that stuff), and while she was somewhere around the 30-35%ile for the earlier scans, she'd measured just over 50%ile last time, and had now dropped off to under 25%ile. I asked if that was cause for concern, but he seemed to say that it's not such an exact measurement, and they'd just see how things look at the next scan in two weeks time. If she's still falling further off the curve, then we'd be looking at IUGR (intrauterine growth restriction) and trying to figure out what to do. I suspect that if she's still gaining weight, even small amounts, they'd keep her in there until there's something funny with her doppler flows or until she stops gaining and they decide she'd be better off outside.
It seems like the little nudges I'm getting at the bottom left are from a hand, she's still head down, and the huge bulge I get at the upper right when the uterus tightens up is her butt and occasionally a leg. I occasionally get a foot in my right ribs when she brings one up under her bum, but otherwise the feet are supposedly on the upper left. They did doppler flows on her umbilical artery and her middle cerebral artery, and said that all looks good there too. Plenty of amniotic fluid, good tone and movement. And she even had the hiccups while practicing breathing when I was getting scanned. The frequency of the hiccups was much faster than I thought possible, so when I've been having these super-frequent little jolts over the last couple weeks, that's been her with the hiccups. It was very cute to see.
This was the first scan since 16 weeks when I didn't get my cervix checked. The nurse tried to take a look from above and said it was long and closed, though I didn't see a particularly good image on the screen. I've stopped worrying about that now though - now I can move on to IUGR or not worries! I was hoping that more of my 23lb+ weight gain would have gone to her, but I guess not.
At any rate, I'm very thankful that in 2 days we'll pass the 32 week milestone. I'd love to hit 34 weeks at least, and am finally hopeful that we'll get there.
Now if all the tightenings I've been having since mid-morning would settle down, I'd be even more thankful!
Thanks everyone for the reassurance you gave me after the last post. Logically I knew there wasn't much to worry about, but just couldn't help it somehow.

5 comments:

Jill M. said...

Wow, all they checked at your u/s is so unfamiliar to me, guess I got some new stuff to learn. Glad to hear that all is well for the most part and hope you continue on with more good reports.

Jules a.k.a. Julie said...

Hoping baby girl continues to grow and IUGR is not a problem! Glad that the spotting has stopped and doesn't appear to be a concern. It seems like there's always something new to worry about!

kayjay said...

That's great news about the OB visit today. Glad to hear the bleeding has stopped. What's an IUGR?

Anonymous said...

I hope that you can make it through the next few weeks issue free and then see that she is growing spectacularly.

Kate said...

I thought I commented already! Sorry if this is a repeat.

You look so sleek! And sorry about the damned spot, and so glad you got checked out and that all is well and being monitored. Your BP is amazing.
And I am glad they are checking you out often enough to keep away many of the worries.
Happy 32 weeks!
warmly,
Kate