Monday, January 18, 2010

First day of renos

Thanks for the comments about the house reno stuff. It really helped me to have MMC say that it's the little stuff we have to fix up that will really make the house ours.
Our contractor was there a couple minutes ahead of me for our 9am meeting at the house this morning. I took the subway over, and mistakenly tried to take the back exit that I thought would come out on the street our house is on. It actually went out through a parking lot, out onto a street one over from ours, and I ended up having to hike up a little hill, down another, and back up a hill to zig-zag back over to our house. Ugh. Won't be taking that path again!
I'm so happy to get things underway, and on schedule for the start too. Our "designer" (I feel really strange saying that, cause we're so not designery kinds of people, but needed help with planning the reno, as well as with figuring out where to find good quality furniture for not-so-insane prices, since we had a lot of house to add stuff to all at once) showed up a little after that. We figured out where the wall for the spare bedroom is going to be, where the doors for entering it will be, where we'll add a couple extra heat vents and air returns down there (so that it won't be so freaking cold in the winter). I want one extra potlight in the kitchen to brighten up the one dark area, and DH will need a couple more above the desk in his office to make it brighter in that room for him.
I think I love our contractor so far - if the quality of the work is the way I'm expecting from talking to him, I'll be very happy. He's a good on-the-spot problem-solver, and has similar concerns about things that I do. He'll do little extra stuff for us for free, and the 3 extra potlights I'm asking for he'll put in for about $100 each. Yay. Very responsive to email. And strict with his guys. Even though they've taped the basement off from the rest of the house to prevent dust from spreading, he's insisting that they vacuum and clean up after themselves every day.
Today was supposedly going to be demolition. I was there while they took out the carpet, and then thought I should leave them in peace. I'll be interested to go in tomorrow afternoon to see what's come down and if anything has gone up already. Hope I remember to take enough photos/videos for DH while he's out of town and not able to see what's happening.
Squirmy has had some crazy active periods this afternoon and evening. I hope that means she's growing bigger and stronger - verdict will come on Wed at the ultrasound.

3 comments:

IF Optimist, then... said...

I'm sure she's doing great. The house stuff may be hectic, but it sure sounds exciting. Good luck on the ultrasound Wednesday.

Jules a.k.a. Julie said...

Glad you guys are gettting the house stuff rolling. :-) Hope your appt goes well tomorrow!

lastchanceivf said...

Good luck at the appointment! House renovations are super fun when it keeps rolling along. And when someone else is doing the work :)