Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Reno day #3 + MFM appointment at 33w5d

I had a good appointment this morning. BP was 100/62, they didn't say anything about my urine dip, weight was steady from 2 weeks ago at 73.2kg (I had minimal appetite for a while with my cold). Then they did the growth scan, took 3-4 measurements of most of the 4 things they look at, and estimated her to be back on the 35th percentile growth curve, weighing about 2117g or 4lb11oz. Whew, big sigh of relief there. She was crazy active on the ultrasound as usual, and the nurse even remarked on how much she was moving. Good umbilical cord blood flow. Her BPD (biparietal diameter, or the width of her skull) was ahead as usual at a bit over 35 weeks. Her head circumference was somewhere in the 34 week range. Femur length was in the early 33 week range, and her abdominal circumference was in the low 32s week range. I guess her big head is helping pull her back up onto the appropriate growth curve!
They didn't do any checking of my cervix, and said that they'd wait until the next appointment to do my GBS swab. Let's hope I don't go into labour until after 36 weeks, or I'll be getting a couple of unnecessary doses of IV penicillin if I'm actually GBS negative! I told them that the tightenings have been getting worse again, but with no increase in discharge and no bleeding, they didn't get too excited.
And best of all, I was out of there in 1.5 hours today!
This afternoon I took the subway over to the house to check on things. They've framed up most of the new bathroom walls, but thankfully hadn't started on framing the foot end of the tub, since the foreman said they'd been told a 60" tub, and we're thinking of putting a 66" tub in (so that if either of us or a tall guest take a bath down there, they'll be able to put their legs out straight and not have their knees sticking up into the cold air). I'm going to ask the contractor if there's any way we can figure out to stop the dining room floor from squeaking so much. There is one slight high point in the middle where the wall of the basement office is downstairs. I think the slight sag on either side and the little bit of squeaking is from the excruciatingly heavy thick solid wood dining room table (that was previously a conference room table, to give you an idea of its dimensions) that the previous owner had in there. I was wondering if they might need to reinforce any of the joists a little bit, or if the perpendicular wall that the bathroom door will go in will do enough to make things a little more solid. I'm hoping the contractor will be there when I am tomorrow afternoon so that I can ask him these things.
I think tomorrow they're supposed to rough in the plumbing for the bathtub, which is exciting. I wonder if after that they'll frame up the bedroom wall? I'm going to be very excited to see how things turn out. I hope the money we're putting into this will increase the value of the house a fair bit, since we're turning the basement half bath into a full bath (with tub and hand-held shower) and basically creating three rooms that were just open offices before. Not terribly useful for a family, even if they were good for the home business that was run out of there before. The new closed-off rooms will give us DH's office and a guest bedroom that can later be used for one of the kids (if we get lucky enough to have a second). Right now there are only two big bedrooms with ensuites on the second floor, a big den and sort of library/solarium kind of area on the third floor, and a large living room and open concept kitchen-dining area on the main level. I'm sure there are possibilities for modifications on the third level if we need to change anything there in the future, but it's kind of nice and cozy up there right now the way it is.
I'm going to be so excited to see things continue to come together. If only I could be there operating power tools and helping out! I adored Shop in Grade 8 (so much better than Home Ec), and had the best time designing and installing my own Ikea kitchen in Germany. Made my own sink and stovetop cutouts in my countertop and all. It was great.
Must get a little more packing done though. It's so easy to find more fun things to do that I've barely accomplished anything so far.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great appt! It sounds like the renos are going well - I am excited for you!

Eileen said...

I can't believe you are only a little over 6 weeks out from your due date. Eeeek! I am so excited for you. Saing prayers you make it to at least 36 weeks or beyond. Can't wait to read your birth story and hear how the rest of the renovation goes. So exciting!

Jill M. said...

Yippee for another good appt! We can relate to needing a custom tub/shower. The original that came with our house was way too high for me, I felt like I was being sprinkled on and Kerry, well he had to practically stand on his knees to get under it. So we had them not put in the standard shower and instead designed our own. It has a 5.5ft tall shower head on one wall for me and a 7ft tall shower head on another wall for Kerry. It's quite funny. Good luck on all your renovations.

MMC said...

The house sounds wonderful; I can see why you're so excited. (And it's got me hoping for pics eventually!)

Congrats on such a great prenatal appointment.

kayjay said...

Great news that the baby is over 4lbs! We'll need another belly shot soon! The renos sound like they're full steam ahead which is good and I'm sure they can do something about the squeaking in the floor. Sometimes I think it will even help if they can somehow screw in the subfloor from the bottom rather than just using nails. See what the contractor says.

Shelly said...

Your belly is soooo cute! I bet you are in your pre-pregnancy pant the day after birth!

IF Optimist, then... said...

Wow. It sounds like both the house and the baby are shaping up and doing fine. You must be so excited. You sound like a person who likes to get things done, but remember to take a little break here and there, we all want the happiest of endings in just another 6 weeks. :-)