Sunday, February 12, 2012

Swimming fun

I'm so proud of K. We went over to see Dad and his wife tonight (they live about 15min away). When at his condo, she peed once in her My Carry Potty, then peed a smidge more on their toilet (she's not a fan of regular toilets so far). Then we went down to swim in their pool with him. I took along my swim diaper, but didn't want to put it on her since she'd just gone pee, and she can usually hold it for 3-4 hours unless she's been chugging water.
I told her she had to keep her swimsuit dry just like she keeps her panties dry. She refused to pee on the big toilet down by the pool when I went pre-swim. We played in the water for a good long while. She hated the hot tub and I had to force myself to go back in the cool pool with her. Granddad stayed in the hot tub, the lucky guy. K kept herself amused climbing up and down the stairs and even blew a few bubbles in the water (didn't put her whole face in though). She loves cruising around the pool on her tummy with me holding her up, but hates lying on her back. She seems to really not like getting her ears or the back of her head wet. She was so cold, but kept wanting to go in the water again.
Then we showered, and as we were drying off, she said she had to pee and managed to go on the regular toilet. That confirmed that she really didn't pee in the pool. Yay K! Her little bum was so cute in the swimsuit too. Wish I'd had a photo of her...

*************
So a while back, shortly after I'd posted about the second kid/no second kid conflict around here, I told DH we needed to finally hash the issue out. I admitted that I totally could understand his points about having such a great first kid, and how life is getting easy, and how having a second could be very stressful. He also reiterated that I had a hard time getting pregnant, a rough pregnancy in many ways, and a rough first year with the breastfeeding issues and pumping at work. Then there was the terrible anxiety/insomnia when I weaned off the pump.
I have similar fears myself already, but I feel like we could absolutely love another child, could make the house work (they'd have to share a room for a few years, which shouldn't be a big deal), and think that it would be good for K to have a sibling. I'm kind of craving the squishy little baby in my arms again. DH also saw how happy friends of ours are with their two when they came over for a playdate, and they said they want to have a third.
As we sat there talking, he was still pretty negative about having another, but then admitted that he'd feel bad about not giving the frosties a chance. If we hadn't done IVF and didn't have 4 frozen, as far as he was concerned, that would be it. I don't think I have another fresh cycle in me at this point. We also both agreed that if it doesn't happen soon so the kids are closeish in age, we don't want it to happen. I don't want to be totally out of the nap-time-needing stage that puts a crimp on our travel plans and then 2 years later be dragged back into it again. We want to get a bit of our former life back, specifically the fun vacations. Of coruse we don't get the chance to do all the fun vacations now because we always feel obliged to take K back to Germany for at least a week twice a year to see her aging Opa.
He said he'd need a bit more time to think it over, but that he might consider giving it a go with the low-stress FET. I thought he meant he needed a couple nights to sleep on it, but he meant a bit longer than that, so he wasn't impressed when I pressured him into giving me an answer last month when I needed to get the hysterosonogram done on one of my days off work. In the end, he gave me the go-ahead in time, and I got the testing all done. Now we're both anxiously awaiting CD1 so we can get the show on the road. In the end, he said he was glad that I finally told him we needed to have a real talk about it, because he wasn't feeling good about us always having that tension in the background either.
I hope AF gets here tonight, or things will be more challenging timing-wise with squeezing in the endometrial biopsy I want to have done.
Come on AF - show your nasty face now please!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The second baby is easier in every way - otherwise nobody would have any more.

Springroll said...

Yay - so happy for you! Finger crossed that everything goes smoothly for you! I'll be thinking of you and expecting updates! :)

Dandle Dreams said...

Good luck with everything. I hope you have a smooth run this time around.

As things are at the moment, I'm not sure how I'd cope with two kids (I'm not even sure I'm coping with one). I'm also in the "anxiety/insomnia" stage of weaning from the pump).