Sunday, February 5, 2012

Potty training boot camp day 2

I think I've figured out that this isn't the boot camp method, but rather http://www.3daypottytraining.com. I thought they were the same thing, but I think I was wrong.
At any rate, we had a fantastic day 2. It started off with K waking up at her usual time - DRY! I told her we sit on the potty right after we get up (after leaping out of bed and racing over to her room like a madwoman), but she didn't go then. We went downstairs and played a bit before breakfast, and in 20-30min, she went on the potty and was so proud of herself. She had drunk a bunch of water after waking up (she went to bed asking and being refused water last night) and at breakfast, so I expected more action that morning. I was waiting for her to pee and thought that we could go out to the park to enjoy the sun and slightly warmer day. Unfortunately, she didn't pee till just before lunch. We killed time before lunch baking lemon loaf, which turned out well. She loved sticking her finger in the flour and sugar and licking it, and I had trouble getting her to stop.
To really give her encouragement, we phoned my Mum and FIL right after getting up to tell them what a big girl K was, and that she's kept her panties dry all night. Then we tried calling her nanny, but she didn't answer the phone. She called us back a little while later and was super excited to hear how things were going.
I think she peed again before nap time. She still hadn't pooped since yesterday morning's accident, so I gave her a couple prunes to eat. I was on edge all day waiting for the big event, which came in the early evening. She didn't run to the bathroom or say "schnell schnell" (fast fast, which I say each time we rush to the potty) that time, just stood at the coffee table and got the poopy look on her face. I told her she looked like she needed to poop, grabbed her up, and rushed her to the potty. Boy was she excited to produce and be able to dump it in the toilet herself. The wipeup took a lot more effort than it did previously with wipes, and one chunk fell down her pants and ended up on the dining room floor a little later when she ran out there. Oops. Mommy fail.
She's cried wolf a few times, a couple of which were when she said she needed to poop but only a fart came out. I'd rather deal with some false alarms than a mess any day.
The bedtime routine is really dragging out longer now. She peed downstairs after dinner once, and then peed a bit more when we got up to her room for bath and bedtime. Then I put her down after stories and told her to remember to call Mama or Papa in the night if she needs to go potty, and she immediately said that she needed to pee. I wasn't sure I believed it, and she made a big fuss about taking off PJ bottoms and undies before sitting on the potty. She didn't pee there, and then insisted on sitting on the big toilet a couple times, the second of which actually produced pee. Mama was so proud!
So far, I think she's dry. She's cried out a couple times the last few minutes, but was asleep when I went up to check on her. I'm going to hope for the best.
We skyped with my Mom this evening to update on our successful day (she was skeptical and told me to just keep putting her on the potty from time to time). She made some stupid comment about how K wouldn't need to wear big bulky diapers any more, at least not during the day. I was quick to jump in and say that K is a big girl who wears undies now - no more diapers. I don't want Grandma instilling doubt in my little girl.
I'm so very proud of K! I hope that she transitions well to doing this with our nanny tomorrow morning. I picked a list for tomorrow that involves me starting at 10am and finishing by 2pm at the latest, so I should be able to get them going for the day and help out later on. I think I'm going to ask our nanny to stay close to home or at least out of exciting group situations for the next day or so till K really gets her confidence going.  She's now saying "Yay K!" super loud whenever she does anything in the potty - it's very cute. I guess my positive reinforcement with clapping and happy cheers is building her up well.

1 comment:

Jill M. said...

Wow!!! So not a single accident all day? That is amazing! We have 3 months till the magical age of 22 months, not sure if we will do it then or a little earlier. Thanks for posting your experience.