Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Updates week 6

We had yet another LC appointment on Monday. K's weight was up to 3552g, so something like 90g in 2 days, which was insane. I guess she must have really cleaned out her bladder and guts just before the previous weight-in. We're going back next Monday again to make sure things are still on track, and in the meantime have increased the dompe.ridone to 40mg 4x/day. No side effects to speak of, so why not max out the dose and see if it helps.
The LC said that she couldn't get too worried about the borderline weight gain (16g/d since the lowest weight they had) because she's pooing and peeing well and obviously happy and thriving. She's very alert, seemed contented after the weighted feed we did (she got 32g out herself plus the 30cc supplement). Too bad she's also taken to spitting up a little more, and must lose some of her calories that way.
We go back to the family doc on Friday for another weight check. I hope things are good! I weighted her before her last feed at home, and she was up to 3620g, so that seems to be ok despite the fact that my pumping output has dropped off since Monday. I think that's because this LC suggested I go back to switch feeding (start one side, swap to the other when she slows down, and repeat before giving the supplement at the breast. I think that means that K's getting more out of me by herself, and there's less left in there for the pump to draw out.
K's starting to get even cuter now that she's smiling and cooing. I think she's been smiling socially for even 3 weeks now, but it's getting more frequent now, with big grins. The cooing just started up over the last few days, and is very sweet.
The diaper service is working out well. She occasionally has a little redness on the bum, but it'll go away if I put a little zinc ointment on it once in a while. Thanks to one of the bloggers I follow, I learned about the jelly roll method of folding the prefold, looked it up on the internet, and our diaper blow-outs soiling the diaper covers have gone down dramatically since then. Yay! It's such a hassle spraying Shout on them and washing them off.
I think the bleeding postpartum has finally basically stopped at the six week mark. It was way less awful than I'd expected, and honestly, apart from the first 2 days, my periods are usually much heavier than what I had. My remaining suture that can be felt when soaping up in the shower fell out last week at some point, which was nice.
Breastfeeding is still a big challenge, obviously. If I didn't have to pump each time, life would be so much easier. I hope K will continue to grow and that as she gets bigger, she'll be able to feed more effectively and I'll be able to quit pumping till I go back to work.
And in other news, my mother is coming to visit today, and will leave on Sat. I'll be glad to have another set of hands to look after K, hopefully letting me finish off my taxes and get some stuff done around the house, since K doesn't like to be put down at this point. I have a feeling I may need to set some rules though, and tell her from the start that I don't want to hear formula mentioned. And when I go to the doc on Friday, I'm planning to leave her in the waiting room if she insists on going in with me for the appointment. Don't want her trying to get the doc to force me to give formula.

8 comments:

Kate said...

cutest baby ever--
Kate she seems to be thriving-- and if your soul is intact, don;t let anyone bully you.
Glad to hear of Your healing (yippie! end to bleeding and out out damned suture!)-- that is great news.

seriously, cute cute cute big toothless grin, how amazing: YOU MADE THAT!!!
xo
Kate

Amanda said...

That's a great excited look there!

I'm glad the weight gain is looking better. I hope she doesn't get into spitting up too much... I would just cry when we were having trouble BFing and M would spit out all my precious milk.

I'm glad the jelly roll seems to be working out well. Hopefully as you do it more and she becomes a little older you will hardly have any messes at all.

You were still bleeding up until now? I thought I was going to die because mine lasted 3 weeks. Bleeding from my cha cha is something that I will never miss.

K said...

Oh my! What a lovely lovely smile! That makes all the struggles worthwhile doesn't it? Gazing into that lovely sweet face!!!

You sound like you're doing great and maybe little one has a great metabolism, she's thriving and doing great- I hope your worries are more eased now!

Jill M. said...

I'd say by that way too cute adorable grin that she's doing quite well on breast milk alone! Keep up the good work mama!

Jules a.k.a. Julie said...

She's just beautiful! I agree, you are doing a great job! I hope your mom's visit goes well.

Dandle Dreams said...

Look at that huge smile, and those big blue eyes. Hope your bother learns her boundaries.

Sunny said...

I love that picture!! :)

You are doing an EXCELLENT job with the breastfeeding. I know it's hard -- what you are going through now is very similiar to what I went through with my oldest son. I'm sure everyone has been telling you that it gets easier, and it definitely does! I hated BFing at first, I felt like a slave to it. But my feelings changed as we went along, and by 12 months I absolutely loved it! (He was only nursing about 3-4 times a day at that point, that's probably why.) :) Anyway, just wanted to say you are doing an amazing job, hang in there!

Karen said...

What a beautiful smile that precious little girl has......and so glad the weight gain is improving.....even with a slow gain in weight it obvious she is happy thriving!