Friday, April 16, 2010

Weight gain dropping off again

We had another weight check at the family doc today. She's up to 3340g, but that equals a gain of only 12g/d over the past week. Not exactly the 15-20g/d we were shooting for. Now I feel guilty that I've let her go longer than 3h between feeds if she's having a great nap or when I'm unable to wake to the alarm clock at night.
They mentioned wanting me to start formula supplementation, but have agreed to let me try one last ime with the aggressive waking every 2h to feed during the day, every 3h at night, and making her drink about 1oz EBM afer each feed whether she seems to want it or not.
We'll see what the lactation consultant says tomorrow...

6 comments:

Amanda said...

Good luck. You are going to be a tired woman, but you can always be proud of how hard you've tried.

If she gets sleepy during feedings, try messing with her ear or arm. The ear thing always works for us.

K said...

Good luck, you're fighting the good fight- I can't imagine how exhausted you must feel :(

Susie said...

Hi there,
Delurking to say keep up the good work and you're doing great! I read and adore a blogger (DaMomma) and all three of her children shrank after birth rather than gained right away, the third was more serious in her lack of weight gain. These two posts of hers are helpful and might give you some encouragement to stay strong or you could find an ally if you emailed her for advice/encouragement :)

Here's her posts...

http://damomma.com/2009/12/30/on-breastfeeding-again

and

http://damomma.com/2010/01/08/in-defense-of-the-f-bomb

quadmom said...

Best of luck -- I don't know from experience but friends of mine have said it's very tiring. I'm rooting for you ... hang in there!!

Rachel said...

You are doing a great job. Please ask ur drs. about clipping her tongue clipped. It makes a HUGE diffrence, I wish we woulda done it to my son sooner. Tongue tie can even affect speech later in life.

Jill M. said...

You are such a trooper!