Sunday, April 11, 2010

I'm a clutz!

I keep on spilling precious milk. Lefty has good let-down (unlike righty), so I try to collect that (can be from 3-10mL) when I nurse starting with righty. Yesterday I had collected it by pinning a bottle between breast and the baby, and unfortunately DH totally distracted me with questions just as I went to take her off righty, leading me to forget about the bottle and spilling it all over my leg and the leather couch. Just now I had attached my handsfree bottle set-up and collected 8cc, and when I went to put it back on to pump after feeding, I managed to decide I needed to clean something off the attached breast shield, and turned it far enough over that I dumped most of it on my leg nd the leather chair I'm sitting on. Clever, eh?
We had another weigh-in on Friday, and K is finally back up to birth weight at 3.5 weeks! She'd apparently gained 18g a day in the previous 3 days, so the weight gain has gone from 14g/d to 16g/d to 18g/d over the previous 1.5 weeks or so. Thank God! With 15-30g/d being what they aim for, we're within normal range now.
We also had a pediatrician appointment after I'd asked about the swelling of one of her neck muscles and her obvious preference to turn her head to one side over the other. Sure enough, my diagnosis of torticollis was confirmed, and we've been referred for physio, which will apparently come to our house to teach us the stretches and strengthening exercises we'll need to do with K to make sure her muscles develop evenly, avoiding future problems with a wry neck and facial and head asymmetry.

4 comments:

Dandle Dreams said...

Man, pumping sounds horrible. Kudos for you for persevering with it all, despite all the setbacks. Plus, you spotted K's torticollis before all the experts. She's a lucky baby to have you as her mun.

Jill M. said...

Yeah for normal weight now! Hope her neck issues resolve quickly!

Jules a.k.a. Julie said...

Yay for K's weight gain! And I agree, kudos to you for sticking with bf with all the challenges. Hoping her torticollis is resolved swiftly!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I am right there with you about spilling milk! The other day I only pumped 1/2 ounce and I set it on the counter to put a lid on it and managed to knock it over and spill it all onto the counter. And I needed it to give her zantac in the medibottle. I nearly cried.

Yay for her being back up to birth weight! You are doing a wonderful job. I've noticed that Birdie tends to turn her head to one side more than another. I wonder if she has the same thing.