Saturday, April 24, 2010

Disappointing weight gain, I think

We went to the doctor's yesterday for a weight check. She was supposedly 3.53kg, up from 3.34kg 7 days prior, which would have been a 27g/d weight gain. I'd checked in the middle of the week on my scale at home, and had her pegged for more like a 20g/d weight gain. I came home pretty happy from that visit, although the nurse insisted we come back in a week for another weight check.
Then today we went to the lactation consultant again. She only got 3.454kg when weighing her on their scale. I had gotten 3.44kg at home earlier in the week, and sure enough when I weighed her this afternoon at home, I also got 3.45kg. So basically no weight gain since Wed?
This is all so discouraging. She seems to be growing, seems happy. Acts pretty content after nursing.
And yet despite all that, I have a sinking feeling that next week they're going to all insist that I start adding in some formula. If relaxing is supposed to help BF go well, how is all this stress going to help me? I'd rather go by whether she seems happy and is pooing and peeing enough.
Please God, let her weight gain pick up soon! She is gaining, just very slowly.

10 comments:

K said...

How is the breastfeeding experience impacting your overall sense of well being? I worry that the worry over this may cause you to get sad since I know how hard you're trying and how frustrating it seems.

Karen said...

Is she losing weight? If not small and slow weight gain is not all that uncommon as long as the baby appears content and happy and healthy.....in my prayers.....Karen

Amanda said...

I think the happy, healthy, plenty of wet and dirty diapers are probably as good as any indicator. Perhaps she is just a petite child by nature and although she probably would have a better gain with supplementing, that doesn't necessarily mean that she wasn't fine BFing alone. Whatever it comes down to, all that matters is that she is well nourished.

In answer to your question, I was doing the jelly roll fold. I don't think we ever had a leak with that.

Anonymous said...

I supplemented with formula in the beginning- the babies are now on exclusive breast milk but it really helped get them going.

Anonymous said...

Initially, I just added formula to their breast milk so they would not balk at the taste - probably 1 part formula to 3 parts breast milk. I then increased it to half and half.

One of my IRL friends has twins and a very low supply - she feeds them her breast milk first in one bottle to make sure they finish it and get all of the good antibodies and she then gives them a bottle with formula in it, not caring so much if they do not finish that.

I wanted to do exclusive breast milk from the beginning too - but knowing that they were eating the amounts they should be gave me more peace of mind.

Jules a.k.a. Julie said...

Hoping she has a growth spurt soon! Thinking of you as you cope this this!

MMC said...

Gosh, I'm no expert but I'd think that as long as she's gaining and healthy, there's nothing to worry about. It's like with the pregnancies... every kid is different.

If you are worried and it's affecting you a lot, there's no crime in supplementing. The worry itself is liable to cause you milk supply issues, so try and relax if you can. :)

Btw, I just saw the photos on your last post and I love them! Beautiful!

Dandle Dreams said...

How frustrating that these first few weeks are filled with so many unknowns. But if she seems happy, then surely that's a good sign? Hope her mama is happy too.

linux FONTS said...

hi there! how's life?
if you need unique fonts, you can go to our site.

kayjay said...

I think that the most surprising thing about this whole experience is how difficult BF is. I used to wonder what the big deal was but now that I've worried about proper weight gain, flow, let downs, outputs...it's a lot to take in isn't it? I'm sorry to hear that your little one isn't putting on weight fast enough but at least she isn't losing weight as I know of a friend who was rehospitalized because her boys had lost too much weight post delivery. I think you're right to judge how she's doing by how her temperament is and the number of wet and poopy diapers she has. Hang in there...hopefully this BF thing will sort itself out soon.