Thursday, August 13, 2009

Why do I do this to myself?

Ok. TMI time here. The constipation came back with a vengance - like no good trip to the bathroom in days. Pebbles, if you know what I mean. I'm thin, so I can feel that my colon is packed full, just by feeling my belly.
I've eaten prunes galore, increased my intake of fluids. I usually have a fair bit of fibre in my diet (lentils, corn etc over the last few days). Nothing had helped. I've even been taking colace at night, which was OB-sanctioned in one of the handouts I got. No luck. I've been running to the bathroom every time I feel the urge, with no success. I wonder what the surgeons and nurses have been thinking when I disappear for 3 minutes during the case?
So tonight I got desperate. Found an ancient expired sodium phosphate (fleet) enema in the laundry/drug closet. And decided to try it out. I didn't check things out on the internet first. My OB is on vacation till mid August. My metamucil is also 3 years out of date, and DH refused to let me take any. So silly me, I decide to use the older enema. I mean really, can a solution of sodium phosphate go bad? It wouldn't logically make sense to me. And I figured this type of enema shouldn't be absorbed by the body - it's supposed to suck water into the colon to ease things along. Any little bit that might be absorbed by the body ought to pass through the liver before it circulates around again.
So I ended up using 1/4 of the bottle, which is the dose for a 14kg child. I'm 63kg. Had a little success, thank God. And then I went on to the internet to see if I'd just done something stupid. A little late though. The box said to check with your doctor before using the enema if you're pregnant or breastfeeding. Online stuff said it's category C in pregnancy. The other people said they'd been told it's safe. And other info said it could cause preterm labour. One OB/GYN group's webpage said it's fine in pregnancy. What do I believe?
I really need to start exercising a little more and drinking a lot more during the day. I hope that might help. And now I'm just praying that the NT U/S next Wed shows that all is good at 11w5d. Please God, don't let me have screwed this all up because of a stupid enema!

9 comments:

Clare said...

I'm sure all will be okay... try linseeds - they work a treat on me! Soak them overnight in water or juice then drink the whole thing down the next morning - its quite slimy- it will make you move believe me! If I need some faster relief, I get magnesium supplements open the capsule and dissolve in water, works within 20 mins I find. Also try upping your Vit C intake, I take up to 5g in one go if I have a problem going :)

This is an experienced IBS sufferer talking here, and with all the little tricks I do, my IBS symptoms have virtually disappeared... good luck!

Kristy said...

I'm sure you didn't do any damage. Try eating Kiwi fruit, it's nature laxative and always works like a charm for me!

kayjay said...

Okra will also help if you like that vegetable and will soften everything up so you don't feel like you're pushing a turkey out of your rear end.

Anonymous said...

I too think it will be okay - it is probably bad to cleanse oneself out like that multiple times a day or week - but a little bit should have been just fine.

I bet you are excited about your next scan - they are my new addiction.

Carrie said...

Okay, you didn't do any damage, but I was worried about that one too. I did one once and then worried about it for days, but my OB said it is NOT a big deal. I am a lifetime constipated person and pregnancy does make it SO much worse!

My tips for constipation in pregnancy:

1. Watermelon. TONS of it while it is still in season. Amazing.

2. Milk of Magnesia is fine if you do a little bit. My MFM and my OB have both told me to use this.

3. Hot water with lemon. Especially in the morning.

Thanks for the cheers on my blog. :) Good thought about the preggos who stay dilated for weeks... I am holding onto that one! :)

Excited to hear the perfect NT results.

Victoria said...

I hope that all will be okay.

April said...

i'm sure it's fine :) i'm on iron twice daily and have not had any bowel trouble. i have no idea how or why....i eat a lot of fruit and drink a lot of water, i suppose.... :)

hang in there.

strongblonde.wordpress.com

Maya said...

It's gonna be OK! Enema is one of the natural remedies for constipation. I am glad you're feeling better.

I found that prune juice was very effective. Two cups of it would make me stay close to the bathroom for all evening! LOL. You may also try switching to high fibre cereal (7 grams of fibre at least).

IF Optimist, then... said...

Don't worry. Everything is going to be fine, you didn't do anything that will be a problem, but next time check first to save yourself some extra worrying.

I'm so sorry you aren't feeling well. The only thing that helps for me is lots of water (more than a liter per day) and apples. An apple a day...well you're a doctor, so I guess you can't keep away from yourself, but you get the idea. Feel better soon.