After a busy night last night and only a little sleep between the 3am C-section and trouble falling back to sleep with the anxiety about the scan, we met up at the ultrasound place this morning.
Luckily with it being the first appointment of the day, we got right in. I can't remember the last time I had an ultrasound without the dildo-cam making an appearance - what a treat! And I didn't need a full bladder either, so it was pretty painless. And we got to watch the whole thing on our own TV screen on the wall.
First view: Empty black cavity. Both of us started to worry a little. And then saw some little moving arm or leg, and heaved a huge sigh of relief. If it moves, it's still alive! The mexican jumping bean was going wild at the start. She didn't have trouble getting the crown-rump length (4.97cm = 9 weeks, 5 days = right on track!), but when she tried to use the doppler to measure the heartbeat (you can see the line going through the beating heart, which needs to stay on the heart to get the right signal to calculate the heart rate), it kept flailing around with spastic leg kicks, and would bounce its heart out of the right spot. Little bugger! The heart rate ended up measuring at 165, which is great.
Then she moved on to trying to get the nuchal translucency measurement after looking for my ovaries (righty easy to find, lefty hiding, probably behind my constipated colon). Now the little bugger wouldn't move when she needed it to. I think there was a line of chorion or amnion or something that she was worried might confuse things and make the measurement inaccurate, so she kept bouncing the probe to try to wake baby up and make it quit lazing around on the membranes. No luck. It just laid there, chilling out. She finally went to get another ultrasound tech who had better luck getting the right view, and they told us all was ok. My placenta is apparently fundal, so hopefully I won't have to wait super long to feel movements. And hopefully it'll protect my important innards from major kicks later on. :)
Thank you God for a healthy looking baby!

11 comments:
I've already told you but again yippie such a cute little one you have got there
Woooooooooooooooohoooooooooooo! What great pics and awesome news. What is fundal? Can you explain for the non-doctorish folks in the room? You are doctoring and manufacturing a baby at the same time, WOW! Talk about a great job at multitasking. ;-)
Beautiful baby!
Fundal means that the placenta is at the top of the uterus. Anterior would be on the front, posterior on the back, and previa over the cervix.
With an anterior placenta, you're supposed to feel kicks later on because it cushions the blows from being transmitted to your abdominal cavity. You might also lose a little more blood during a C-section because they potentially have to cut partly through the placenta, though this is pretty rare.
Fantastic - beautiful - and I am so, so happy for you!
I am so happy that everything is good! What an amazing picture of the baby.
Yay for the great ultrasound! It is such a relief to see for yourself that everything is on track. Beautiful pictures!
Great news! What wonderful pics.
Wahoo! So glad to hear all went well! :)
Great stuff! Love the pics. I wasn't offered the NT scan, but I'm getting the 20-week u/s soon.
What a beautiful baby you are growing Kate!
Post a Comment