Work was a little funny. I popped into the lounge at 7:30 to drop off my lunch in the fridge before getting changed for the day. Some other doctor walked in and asked if I was one of the new anesthetists, and introduced himself. Then he randomly asked me if I was in need of an obstetrician (I gather he's one). OK, I'm only just 10 weeks today, I'm not showing at all. I haven't told anyone here that I'm pregnant. It was just so strange that he would ask me that. I was totally baffled about what I should say, and after hesitating for a few seconds, came out with something like "hopefully at some point - I'll have to get working on it". Weird.
Then I was in the urology room for the morning. One of my cases was a mentally retarded adult who was terrified of IVs and weighed more than I do. We had the child life specialist and his mother come into the OR with him, and though I was prepared to give him an IM shot of major sedatives to get the IV in, I tried gassing him down first with laughing gas and one of the inhalational anesthetics. It worked like a charm. Then they told me I needed lead, and I thought "Oh shit, how am I going to protect the baby adequately without giving the game away". I managed to dawdle long enough in the storage area down the hall where the leads are kept that the nurse who'd showed me where they were went back to the room, and then I swiftly added a second lead apron underneath the first, making sure that it was up high enough on my waist to not show. It was just a little heavy though - good thing I'm still nice and thin, and can wrap them around me tightly. I spent the rest of the case trying to hide outside the OR door for added protection (distance from the X-ray machine, plus whatever extra shielding is in the walls and doors). Climbing over the equipment in the tiny room to get to my drugs and machine when I needed to make adjustments was just a little awkward though.
Then, though I'd been told I'd only work a half day and hadn't brought much in the way of food with me, one of the surgeons was running really late with their first case, and the guy in that room really wanted to go home after half a day (he's probably in his late 60s, early 70s). So I agreed to stay and do his short second case, plus possibly something from the emergency list. And then I got sucked into being the late person (everyone works till 3:30pm, one till 5pm). And though they had a really sick guy from ICU who needed bowel surgery, and had told me I should start that case, one of my colleagues came in and told me I was supposed to take over from her. She totally screwed me out of a big amount of money that I'd have gotten for starting that case, and told me the group bills a case takeover in a way that they actually don't. I have to get that sorted out with the department chief. And I've now been warned by a few people that this person will say anything to get out early, and that she should actually have asked me to do the entire long case for her, and should have chosen to do the shorter case herself, if she had to leave early. I hadn't thought of that myself.
I ended up doing a laparoscopy for a ruptured ectopic, which was interesting. Amazingly, I'd made it through 5 years of residency training without ever acutally doing one, so it was a good experience in the end.
Anyhow, enough of boring you about work. 10 weeks today, I hope. I've been having a debate with myself about whether I should get a fetal doppler, or whether I should just try to relax and let things happen. I'm thinking I may go with the second option. I'll have my next ultrasound Aug 19th for the nuchal translucency scan, so I'll see baby then. And after that, I've got an appointment mid-Sept with my OB to do all the Pap and other physical exam stuff you're supposed do in early pregnancy. She likes to wait to the second trimester to do it all, which is fine by me. I'd rather not end up with any post-Pap spotting that I might freak out about.
I'm also theoretically supposed to cut out the progesterone and estrogen now, but I'm too chicken to go cold turkey, so I'll probably taper it off over the next couple weeks. At least the estrogen. My OB likes to keep people on progesterone till it's sorted whether they might opt for CVS or amnio testing, to reduce uterine irritability. Since I'm getting pretty used to the slime by now, I think I'll just keep on going with it. I might cut back to twice a day though. Now that I'm sleeping with my naked butt on a towel (to catch any progesterone/estrogen drips), my yeast infection has stayed away.
And that's my semi-boring life! Time to do a little work. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
It's funny reading about a doctor's naked butt (lol). I understand the situation. I had to wear panty shields.
Anyway, seems like baby is well. What a way to jump into your career -- a new life with your baby coming soon. maybe you'll operate on me someday. Who knows? Don't let the older doctors take advantage of you because you're new.
Very weird about the OB thing. Maybe they are onto you at work somehow? You're lucky you're not showing yet at 10 weeks. Work sounds super busy but I guess that's a good thing. When do you plan to spill the beans?
That does sound interesting! I am going to try and relax too...we'll see how that works.
I know you doctors work hard but geez, you are working really hard! It sounds like you're doing all the right things to make a good impression on your new work place though and taking all the right precautions.
Post a Comment