Friday, July 3, 2009

Wow, can my mother be any less discreet?

I got an email this morning from the daughter of one of Mum's best friends. Asking me if I could give her any advice on choosing a hospital and OB, because we're due the same month.
Did I ask my mother to pass along our happy news to all her friends at 4w6d of pregnancy? No. Do we have a history of infertility and early pregnancy loss? Hell yes. Am I my brother and SIL, who have announced each of their 3 pregnancies at 5wks, and gone on to have no issues at all? No!
So I emailed her this morning to say that we'd prefer it if she kept her mouth shut for another 7 weeks, till we give the OK. But I have a feeling the cat is entirely out of the bag. Hell, the woman didn't even wait for the first ultrasound to show a heartbeat. She's nuts!

ETA: Next beta is Monday.
I also heard back from Mum. She only told the one friend so far, who happened to call her this morning to say that her daughter, who lives in the same city as I do, is 7-8 weeks pregnant and has no idea what's supposed to happen now, and wanted to get in touch with me for advice (since I'm a doctor, and might have advice on who to get as an OB/GYN etc). Mum's lips are now sealed, though she did ask "why didn't you tell me to keep it secret?". Hmmm - because I didn't think I'd need to?

8 comments:

Clare said...

First of all congrats on the beta! VERY very happy for you! Second, umm yeah... not what you want. Your mum obviously has a knack for spreading the news, i think she'd beat CNN!! I guess mums dont get it if they never had to deal with IF. Best of luck for your next beta and the U/S!!

Anonymous said...

Yikes, good luck with the information control! When is your next beta?

Kristy said...

Well at least she's excited for you and very optimistic. Everytime we tell our parents we're expecting they get this super worried look on their faces and pretty much refuse to discuss it as a possiblity of ending in a baby.

Once Upon A Time said...

Mothers seem to have a knack for throwing curve balls our way, don't they? I bet she just couldn't contain her excitement for you. :)

Tiffanie said...

congrats! great beta! can't wait to hear what the next one is.

Chris said...

Mothers. I didn't tell mine until about 17 weeks and that was only b/c she was calling wanting something from me.

Anonymous said...

Glad to see the ticker. I feel the same way about DS as you...but it took me longer even than my DH - he is the one who wanted to go this route vs IVF #4 with his sperm or adoption. We will see...

IF Optimist, then... said...

Great news on the beta. Looking forward to more great news tomorrow. I'm terrified of telling anything to my mother or MIL. When my first IVF didn't work, I told my mother (3 weeks after the chemical preg results) she was forbidden to talk to anyone about it. I still haven't said much to my MIL. There is something about it that just feels like gossip to me. Am I crazy?