Wednesday, July 8, 2009

In Germany

We made it to Germany, though it was an interesting trip. Our plane left the gate on time, but then we ended up sitting on the field waiting for further info, since someone saw fluid dripping from one of our engines as we pulled away. First we waited for maintenance people to come out, then they played with the engines, and then we were finally told that emergency vehicles were going to come out to the plane as part of the protocol to escort us as we were towed back in to the gate to deplane. They weren't even allowed to fire up the good engine again to taxi back to the airport.
We initially thought we'd be moved to a plane at a gate nearby, but instead we were sent to get food courtesy of Air Canada (I didn't think they did that sort of thing any more), and told that our new departure time would be 10pm. 4 hours after we'd initially been supposed to take off.
The flight itself was pretty uneventful when we finally got going. We had a set of about 3-year-old twins in the seats behind us. And there was a set of about 2-month-old twins traveling with Mom and Grandma, sitting beside and 2 rows in front of us. Amazingly, all four kids were pretty well behaved. DH thinks that it was an omen that we're going to have boy-girl twins like both of those twins, even though I keep telling him my beta is a little low for that. One healthy baby is all I need to start with, though I wouldn't say no to a set of boy-girl twins either. As I'm sure you can understand.
We landed in Zurich over 3.5 hours after we'd been scheduled to land, and then picked up our rental care and stopped off at one of DH's ex-girlfriend's places to have lunch with her and her husband and kids. Then we had another 3 hour drive to get to his hometown.
We arrived to find things slightly chaotic. My 12-year-old nephew had just been admitted to hospital with likely osteomyelitis, and my SIL has been freaking out. I thought it was a little strange that she had to take some liquid ibuprofen (for ages 3+) in to him when she went to visit last night - as far as I know the hospitals here work like they do in Canada and should provide whatever medications they want the patient to have. She apparently spent the night with him in the hospital, and has been with him the entire day so far. DH and I and her other kids think that's a little overdone, but I guess he's her "baby".
It could end up being an interesting visit, since I think we'll probably end up cooking lunch for everyone each day, and are being dragged into chauffeur duty for various nieces and nephews. Though she'd initially said it would be more convenient if we came here after most of the family left for vacation, I have a feeling she's now happy that we're here in time to help out.
In other news, I emailed my old RE before I left on Monday, and she said she'd be happy to take me on as an OB patient. I know she works crazy hours, and she said she'd work my appointments around my schedule as much as she can. That will be so helpful! This pregnancy had better work out, because I really want to go to her for my prenatal care. I LOVE her, and her secretary is fantastic too. I know both of them would love to see me finally get my happy end.
Now if the rain would just stop, this would feel a little more like a holiday.

6 comments:

Kristy said...

Wow I totally forgot you were heading to Germany. Have fun and when you get back it will be ultrasound time!

Clare said...

Have a fab time in Germany! I hope you get to chillax a bit in between cooking!

Anonymous said...

So glad you made it safely! Also, congrats on your great betas!

IF Optimist, then... said...

Have a great time in Germany. I absolutely loved it there when I visited on business. Sorry you can't enjoy their awesome beer being preggers and all, but that's a worthy trade-off I'd make any day! :-D Glad to hear you will get the doctor you prefer. I'm sure helps a lot to put you mind at ease.

Jennifer said...

Hope you are having a fantastic time in Germany!! And also that they are not working you too hard. :)

Great news about your old RE being able to take you on as an OB patient!! I have to agree with your DH - two sets of twins on the plane? How often does that happen? Could be an omen... ;)

Chris said...

Glad to see you made it to Germany safe and sound and that your old RE can take you on as an OB patient!