Friday, March 30, 2012

When it rains, it pours

I went by the hospital to repeat my beta yesterday afternoon, and made a left-hand turn shortly after leaving for home. I got pulled over by a cop and cited for "improper left turn" and given a ticket for $110 + 2 points. He told me it would be in my best interest to fight it, since it'll affect our insurance rates if we move out of our current group plan through DH's company. I dropped by the court to submit (in person, as required) my notice that I'd like to go to trial. I'm now going to have to decide if I'll hire a paralegal to represent me, or try to see if I can schedule the trial or meeting with the prosecutor on a date when I can attend. It may be better to have a professional involved anyhow, since I'd like to try to get the charge dismissed. Unfortunately, the first 3 quotes I've gotten have been from $275-600. Joy. That's probably cheaper (if they win) than paying increased insurance premiums because I have a minor offence to my name for the next 3 years.

DH jokingly said that my bad luck the last couple weeks is due to the buddha garden statue my Mom brought up from her place that she's in the process of selling. It's been sitting in the back patio since 2 days before my first beta. My born-again-Christian nanny has got the heebie-jeebies about it, and says that she prays the bad spirit will leave her alone each time she walks past it to take the garbage out, and she feels very uncomfortable with it there. I didn't think of it as having a false idol around, it's a garden ornament for crying out loud. But now the two of them planted this little seed of doubt in my mind: what if my loss is due to something I did??? Like letting Mum bring buddha up to our garden...

ETA: Beta yesterday afternoon was up to 809.9. Doubling time is slowing, but the number is still rising. I finally heard from the IVF nurse: stay on the meds, and repeat the ultrasound early next week, along with another beta. They're apparently thinking of how to end this blighted ovum with meds. Personally, I think that if I stop the estrace/progesterone, the drop in hormones will end it all without help. It's not like I have a ton of HCG driving a corpus luteum to pump out the hormones. The support is all that's keeping my lining going. We'll see what they say on Tues.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

The cop told you to fight it? Why write the damn thing then? I would've been fuming. And please Kate, don't even go down the road of self-blame. Your loss is not your fault.

Amanda said...

Ditto what the PP wrote. Infertility sucks. Don't let it make you doubt yourself and think some silly statue has anything to do with this.

Lydia said...

Of course you didn't do anything wrong. A garden ornament did not cause your loss.