Friday, April 6, 2012

Miscarriage underway - warning, TMI

My repeat beta late Monday night was up to a whopping 847. I had a repeat ultrasound the next morning that showed a gestational sac that had hardly grown and a trace more free fluid in the adnexa, but nothing else pointing to an ectopic. I emailed the results to the clinic nurse, and got an email from the doctor covering for Dr H a bit later on telling me to go off the meds. I'd actually taken my last doses Monday night because it was so obvious the game was over.
Tuesday and Wed there was nothing happening, but by Thurs evening, I started noticing some thick EWCM that was brown-red tinged. Because of that, I changed over to a pad from the pantiliners I've been using for weeks, and it was a good thing, because I woke up around 4am bleeding. I wasn't sure if I was supposed to look for tissue for testing since it was only a blighted ovum, but rescued a few clots and what looked like a 5-6mm yellowish pearly sac, which I think was the empty gestational sac.  Took a couple tylenol and went back to bed, where I laid awake for a while feeling sad and wondering if you can do genetic testing on the sac itself.
DH let me sleep in a bit as K woke at 7:05am, and when I was thinking about getting up around 8:30am, I realized I'd soaked through my pad and PJs, and was lying in a nice bloodstain on the sheets and mattress protector. Passed a bunch more clots and whitish tissue when I went to the bathroom again - I wonder if that was just the entire endometrium shed at once? It looked really weird. Then I got to spend a few minutes scrubbing the blood out of the sheets with cold water and freezing my hands. Fun stuff.
Hopefully the worst is over. I'm very glad my body did exactly what I knew it would. I'm apparently very efficient at terminating pregnancies. At least it now looks like I won't need any misoprostol to help the uterus evacuate, nor will I need a D&C. I'm supposed to recheck my beta sometime mid-late next week, and we'll go from there.
I just hope our one lonely 1BB frostie will be enough to do the trick. The stories online of early blasts and morulas that turn into healthy babies do give me some hope.

10 comments:

Mo said...

oh kate. I'm sorry you're going through this. I'm glad your body seems like it got the job done without additional meds/procedures. I hope you can get some rest. And i don't know if they can do testing off the sac, but i'm hoping so. I think it would help you to get some answers.

thinking of you.

Mo

Kate said...

Oh sweet Kate,
I am so sorry.
And so hopeful that this (physical) part is totally over for you.

Springroll said...

Kate, I'm so sorry to hear this news and to read about the horrible time you had...wishing you a good recovery so that you can concentrate on your next FET...sending hugs,

Amanda said...

Sorry. I hope its a relief to have that over with. You gave it your best.

Mad Hatter said...

I'm very sorry to hear this, Kate. I wish you much healing and strength.
Love,
Maddy

Bree said...

I am sorry, Kate. I hope you are feeling better today.

birds and squirrels said...

Oh Kate, I am so sorry. I'm glad you won't need a d&c, and I hope that the worst of the physical pain is over. I am sending positive thoughts to your last frostie. I am so sorry that things turned out this way this cycle. Many hugs from me to you...

Dandle Dreams said...

I'm so sorry that you had to go through that. I hope that you are now feeling physically a bit better.

Victoria said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Victoria said...

Kate, sorry... big hugs.