On Sunday morning, I bit the bullet and painted K's two sucking finger fingernails with Mav.ala Stop which is supposed to taste like crap. She had her fingers constantly in her mouth from the time she got up, and between that, the shortening nail beds, and the calluses she's getting on the tops of those two fingers, I'd had enough. The reviews on Am.azon were very positive, but the bottle says to not use it in kids under three, apparently because their taste buds may not be fully developed and they might not find the taste to be bitter and nasty.
She happily let me paint her nails (and asked me to paint the others, which I refused to do), and when she started sucking on the fingers, she started to cry, made a face, and ran to the bathroom asking for water. I'd warned her ahead of time that they'd taste bad and to not suck them, but felt very bad at that reaction. She kept right on repeating the same thing: bad taste, complain, run for water. After a few times like that, she started trying to spit out the taste and would dribble saliva on her shirt. And soon after that, she seemed to mostly catch on and didn't try so often any more. I'd also be able to warn her her fingers tasted yucky if they got close to her mouth, and she'd pull them away. Her nap was only 1h, I think maybe because she couldn't find the soother I'd given her to replace those fingers (I'd rather have a soother and get rid of it in a couple months than a kid who can't calm herself down). Night time was shockingly fine.
By the evening of day #2, she'd gone back to sucking her fingers without any sign of it tasting bad, though she wasn't sucking them as often. I repainted the nails, and she stopped sucking again as much, though she didn't seem as grossed out by the taste any more. I had to repaint them again (at her request) the next day as well. Tonight (day 4) she seemed to have the fingers of her other hand a bit in her mouth at times, but not for long. We'll see how things go tomorrow.
K apparently tried to keep her little friend (3 months younger) from getting in trouble at the park today with their nannies. A tried to lean over a wall beside a pond, and K pulled her back and told her she shouldn't do that. It's too bad she can't behave that well at home - she scribbled in crayon all over our living room table tonight.
K was keeping people walking in our neighbourhood well entertained when we went out for our walk before dinner. She was pushing her little doll stroller and singing songs rather loudly, especially "hurry, hurry, drive the fire truck". At dinner, she was making up quite complicated lyrics to favourite song tunes. She seems to be able to put together more fancy sentences in English these days than she can in German. Hopefully a couple weekends talking at home with DH and I will help get her German back up to snuff.
I hope I haven't ovulated yet - DH comes home tomorrow and I've had EWCM the last few days. I scanned myself at work and saw a 17mm follicle on the L on Monday, which was about 12mm on Friday. I hope it won't have popped before tomorrow. Friday or Sat to ovulate would let me get DH in the sack a couple times. I'll have to check on things in there after work tomorrow. Fingers crossed we get our miracle (although I was thinking today about how rough it could be to wrangle two, and how I wouldn't enjoy pumping again). I'd still love another, and K would love to be a big sister, I'm sure.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I have a feeling we're going to have to get some of this for Kate when she's older. She always has 2 fingers in her mouth.
Thanks for your comment on my blog. I keep checking your updates almost every day to see what your little girl is up to. Generally it helps me to see what comes towards us in the next few months;-) Amy does have pacifiers and she sucks one and has one in each hand...she looooves them! We will have to let the pacy fairy come one day!
Post a Comment