I enjoyed being at work this week, earning money again, chatting with colleagues. Pumping has been ok, though a little annoying, since I leave my free.style pump dangling from the boobs so I can just turn it on here and there when I have time. No sure if my output would be better if I could actully relax while pumping (I've pumped while starting an anesthetic and intubating a patient, or while taking one to recovery room, or in the doctors' lounge while eating lunch. Not super relaxing, any on it. I seem to get 7-8oz during the course of the day, but usually more like 7oz.
DH has been doing great at home with K. She's been napping in her pack 'n play, falling asleep on her own. She seems to eat between 3-4oz per feed while I'm away, so I'm not keeping up with her needs. We're going to work through my freezer stash, and then I think formula supplementation is inevitable. How frustrating that all my power pumping last week at work didn't seem to bump up my supply.
Kara has now ended up sleeping on her tummy at night. Since I just find her that way in the morning, there's not much I can do to stop it. Hope she learns the front to back roll soon!
ETA: The crowning achievement of the week? Put a big scratch on our fancy new car while parking too quickly in the garage in order to get in and feed Kara quickly. I suck!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

9 comments:
Great news on the rolling!
Quite the week you've had there! Seriously...you - poster child for breast feeding. Don't feel bad about the formula supplementation...Kara is still getting EBM and the antibodies and other good things it contains so feel good about that. The formula may also help her to put on a little more weight so everyone will stop getting so excited about where she's at.
You have a supply in the freezer, too? I have about 50 oz or so if you'd like me to Express Post it to you. I know - kinda creepy but I'd be more than willing. I don't think we'll use it before it expires since Kyle is so laid back about eating when I'm gone.
Ouch about the car! Did you get the one that you had mentioned about a year ago in one of your posts?
I am in the process of signing up to be a bm donor - if you want to pay for shipping, I can send bm, as well. (I have an oversupply and I feel bad about dumping the extra milk I have to pump.)
Oh, that really sucks about the car. I have about 3 different sets of scratches on mine and everytime I look at them, I get mad at myself. But I'm too cheap to try to fix!
Glad you survived your first week back. I think I'll be freaked out the first time I find Emma on her belly, but I really think she'll sleep better that way.
And I never knew you could breastpump like it sounds like you are doing. How does that work? Is there some sort of collection bottle under your clothes?
Yep, the Audi Q5. Hate to think how much it'll cost to fix it!
Very impressed with your breast pumping while intubating a patient! That takes mult-tasking to a whole new level! Sorry to hear about the car...how frustrating! Congrats, though, on handling everything so well during your first week back at work.
Love,
Maddy
Hello, I have finally been persuaded to comment......pumping like that won't work......is that really how your child would feed naturally? You need to mimic your baby's needs to stimulate your milk supply....a proper 'feed' every 3/4 hours. You are stressed and so is your body, so it will not make a proper supply of milk, or the right sort of milk. The beauty of breast feeding is that you( your body) knows what your baby needs....ie a different sort of milk when the weather is hot and your baby is thirsty.....another sort at the beginning of the day when your baby hasn't eaten since the night before.....forget about'how much' she is taking, breast feeding doesn't really work like that. Even if you end up giving her formula while you are at work, and breast milk evening and morning, your body will adjust and the sort of milk you make will be perfect.......don't believe me? how come my body readjusted when my son had whooping cough and suddenly breast mik was all he could stomach, upping the feeds to 4/5+ a day instead of 2 ( he was 10 months old)
I have been following your blog and have finally decided to comment......if you are going to breast feed, then just go ahead and do it......how much she takes each feed is not as important as the sort of breast milk she gets. If you are going to spend all your time worrying about the quantity, then you might just as well give her formula....maybe that way you can all relax.
Once she is grown, no one can look at her and say....ahh that child was/was not breast fed. Enjoy her, she's a lovely little girl.
Sorry I didn't mean to be totally anonymous!!!
I have been reading your blog for a while now ( um came across it by chance) and have been tempted to comment before now. Breast-feeding is great if it works, but it is not the be all and end all of baby feeding. I've had 2 kids.....the 1st one I breast-fed for about 6 weeks, along with much stress and hassle but determined it was the best way, in the days when it wasn't the 'fashion' and I didn't know much about it......5 years later, at last, my son came along and the whole feeding thing was great; I was more experienced and relaxed and the 'fashion ' was to breast-feed ( therefore more 'help') and in the end he was the one who decided he'd stop (just before his 1st birthday)....getting up and going downstairs to play with Dad was more fun!!! I'd learnt a lot by then, the main thing being that a happy relaxed mother is worth her weight in gold.
Please enjoy your baby, (by the way I had 3 miscarriages between my 2, so it wasn't all plain sailing )
She is a lovely little girl and obviously doing well. Enjoy your work, relax and enjoy her when you get home....this time passes so quickly.
Anne..uk
Post a Comment