Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Ouch, my poor nipples!

So far I'm basically attached to the pump from about 8:30am to 2pm. Just leave it hanging off me and turn it on here and there for 10min or so at a time. I may have to alter this practice, as my nipples get pretty tender and almost swollen by the end of the day. On a busy day though, this is the only way I can get enough pumping time in to get out 7-8oz.
Kara rolled from back to front a couple days ago with slight help from DH who was checking out a wet spot on the back of her onesie. Tonight (on her 3 month birthday) she managed to do it all by herself when I took her to bed. Since she fights tummy time, front to back may be a long time coming.

7 comments:

kayjay said...

Yeah no kidding OUCH!!! I continue to be super impressed by your dedication to BF...you're a poster child for them! Your banner should read "Did whatever it took...anything is possible if you're committed"!! Way to go Kara turning over all by yourself!

Amanda said...

I've been power pumping more than normal lately and my nipples look like Rudolph's nose. I think give yourself at least an hour break between pumps. You should just get more milk at the next pumping and probably shouldn't see a decrease in output.

She rolled 'back to front' before 'front to back'? I'm not sure I'm reading that right, but if she did, that's pretty impressive.

Jill M. said...

Oh, sorry about the sore boobies!!! You're such a dedicated breastfeeder, it bums me out how hard it's been for you. Hope you catch a break soon! Wow, K is turning over already? Big girl!

one-hit_wonder said...

just wanted to offer encouragement re: breastfeeding. i admire your commitment to it!

and way to go, kara! my babe isn't remotely interested in rolling over although i've seen her do it both ways.

Victoria said...

Sorry about your BF struggles.

Sandibeach said...

Here's a tip from my lactation consultant... take some nipple cream and put inside the cup that attaches to your pump, it causes less friction. At the beginning when I had to pump all the time, that's what I did and it made a huge difference. it wasn't plastic rubbing against skin, there was a barrier there. Good luck.. i commend you for your great efforts! What dediction.

Anonymous said...

Wow, back to front already?!?! The list of developmental milestones that I have says that comes around the 6th month! Very impressive. As far as tummy time, Emma doesn't like it either. We just got her a tummy time mat with a mirror that she likes for about 5 minutes. And I've been told that the times that you hold them up on your chest and they hold their head up counts toward the required tummy time allotment. But sounds like baby is so advance that she just skipped right over it. I actually will be sad when Emma starts doing back to front because you are supposed to stop swaddling at that point and I don't think she could sleep without being swaddled!