Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Feeding progress and brief diapering update

I pump using my Mede.la Free.style pump. It's great, and is so worth the extra $75 I spent on it over the PIS. The pump itself is about 3x5" (if that) and can clip onto your clothing. It comes with straps to hook the flanges and pump apparatus onto your bra strap, so that you're hands-free at all times. this is also good because it lets me use both hands to do breast compressions while pumping to squeeze every last bit out that I can. I think my hands and knuckles are getting pretty sore from overuse :)
I steamed up an organic pear and pureed it on the weekend, and Kara loved it. She seems to be getting a little better at moving food to the back of her tongue and swallowing it now. Her mouth was opening wide in anticipation of every spoonful - so cute! I think it may be her favourite so far. We started with avocado, then banana, then sweet potato, prune and now pear. She hasn't had any cereals yet, but we may start some soon.
Cloth diapering is even easier now that we've started her on some solids. Before, she'd have these huge runny blowout poops that would get onto our diaper covers. Now, she's having little formed stools here and there, which roll off easily into the toilet to be flushed, and the diaper gets tossed into the bin for the diaper service to wash.
(Jill - you'd be surprised how early you can use the diapers successfully. We used disposables for the first week, I think, and then moved on to cloth while she was still not even 7lb. If you have the velcro version, you can overlap the tabs on the front to make the waistband even smaller to fit a very little baby.)
We're starting the nanny search now. We posted an ad online and have had about 30 responses so far. Hopefully tomorrow we'll be able to spend some time going through them and sorting out who to call for more info.
And starting Sunday, she's been much easier to get laughs out of. Now if I make "num num num" sounds while pretending to eat her belly, she'll get the giggles. It's so darn cute. And later on that day, she was laughing at me as I told her she was a "lovely lovely lovely" girl. Love the baby laughter.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

baby laughs are the best! good luck with the nanny search - that was the most stressful part of this entire process by far! Good job on the pumping - I know what a commitment that is - how do you stay motivated?

Amanda said...

A baby laugh makes everything perfect.

We haven't started solids still, and I'm so intimidated by the poo from them... I tried to get a diaper sprayer this weekend but they are back ordered. I'm excited to hear you say that they are rolling off so easily already.

I do not envy you and the nanny search. But I wish I could afford one! One of my good friends from college is a nanny and I would have hired her in a second. Now some family in Australia is getting her wonderful care.

one-hit_wonder said...

nothing is as wonderful as a baby's laughter. :)

Jules a.k.a. Julie said...

Sounds like Kara is loving trying new foods! So much fun! Glad to hear the cloth diapering is going well. We are going to be trying it as soon as we get settled in. I always enjoy your updates and your breastfeeding determination is inspirational!

Once Upon A Time said...

Man, I didn't know the Freestyle had so many features over the PIS. Maybe if I would've had that, I would have made it longer than 1 week.

It sounds like solid food is going very well for you! Your experiences are even drumming up a little excitement for me in that department. :)

Baby giggles are the best. I wish we could bottle that sound up and open it up whenever we needed a pick me up. :)

Jill M. said...

Thanks for the update! I tried the Thirsties Duo and BumGenius AIO size small on Tyler and both leaked because they were so big on him even with the velcro overlapped. He has very narrow hips and stomach. Hopefully soon! Yeah, I could imagine it's much easier to cloth diaper after starting solids. Right now Tyler's poops are runs. Thanks for the tip on putting the pump supplies in the fridge, that has saved us some time! I can't wait to experience baby giggles, they are the best!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE my free.style pump! It's amazing! And so convienent!

We also have a nanny - it's so wonderful. Someone who loves your baby while you're away (and also cleans up the house some!) :) GL with the search!!

K said...

Wow, I have the pump in style. Wish I knew all the benefits of the freestyle. Glad you're doing good with the little one. She is a cutie!