Thursday, September 3, 2009

Bad, bad mother?

I guess I might be slightly nuts. I was on call last night, asked L&D if they had an ultrasound I could borrow to put a central line in this gigantic sick patient (since it would be much safer to do it with ultrasound guidance). They were nice enough to lend one to me... and then I decided to see if I could sneak away and scan myself. See what baby's up to these days. Without anyone noticing. I even ended up taking a second slightly more relaxed peek in the OR, hiding behind my blue drape, while they did a laparoscopic appendectomy on the other side. Angled the screen so the nurses and docs couldn't see anything, and had 2-3 minutes to check things out.

The kid's apparently pretty happy in there. What a change from 2 weeks ago on the NT scan. I think it's a fair bit bigger (didn't measure anything though). Placenta was more obvious to me. And it wasn't just spastically kicking its legs anymore. It was waving arms and legs around, wiggling, little heart ticking away. The whole spine was nicely visible. I never got a good profile shot, nor was I fast enough to catch these cute pics of stretched out long legs or arms on film, but wow, it's amazing how fast things change. Unfortunately, their printer paper is VERY glossy, so it was hard to get good shots of the printouts I made (bad, bad me, wasting hospital resources).
Photo 1: the head is the blob at 5-6 o'clock, with a little hand above the chin area. At 9 o'clock, you can see a little bit of ribs, and at 11 o'clock you can see 4 little white spots that are the base of the spine. 12 o'clock is a line of leg, and between 11-12 o'clock is the bum (not very fleshy at this point!).


Photo 2: my attempt at face-on view. Head at 4 o'clock, some part of arm at 7-8 o'clock, body at 10 o'clock, and the little black bubble in the body is what I think must be the stomach bubble.


Photo 3: Such a cute little baby spine and ribs at nearly 14 weeks!

11 comments:

Kristy said...

You're too funny! I would totally do the same thing if I could. That baby looks great!

kayjay said...

Geez, if I had u/s machines around me every day at work I would be finding an excuse to have a little "alone time" with one of them! Those are such cool shots and your description with locations was also awesome - I invariably point to the bum and ask if I'm looking at the head :). almost 14 weeks - yahoo!

IF Optimist, then... said...

You crack me up. You do it for all of us who wonder if given the opportunity, would we do it? I love that you got to steal a peek. Good for you.

Anonymous said...

I would totally do the same thing. I was actually calling midwives to see if they would doppler me...

Great pictures and thanks for exlpaining what is what!

Clare said...

So lucky that you can do that. And i think it makes you a great mum. Thanks for pointing all that stuff out, the shot of the spine and ribs is amazing! Simply wonderful.

one-hit_wonder said...

I would do the same thing! Glad to see that things are fine! I've got an ultrasound coming soon, and I can't wait for it.

Once Upon A Time said...

Ha! I can't believe that no one noticed. How fun that you got a extra sneak peek at your baby. You do make me wonder what may have been going on during my husband's laparoscopic appendectomy the other week though... ;)

Once Upon A Time said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Once Upon A Time said...

The only comments that give it away are that you said: get a better chair and can they get you a teacher's aide? :) The kids- sized chairs are the only ones that fit under the kid-tables. It is either that or lean over them all day long, which then means my back hurts instead of my bum. The buddy idea will work well (hopefully) once the smarter kids get in the swing of things. It takes a while for them too.

The 8 16 oz glasses is from Dr. Luke's book, If You Are Expecting Twins, Triplets, or Quads. After reading up about it, it is crazy how much more I have to eat (600 more calories a day) and drink for two. Basically I have to be ahead of the curve by 20 weeks and the babies need to be measuring ahead to maximize their chance at less preterm labor.

Dandle Dreams said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Glad that everything looks great. And from the sounds of it, you're going to be a fantastic role model.

Me said...

That is so funny. Glad you got the op! The photos are great.