Saturday, September 19, 2009

A little spotting - ack!

Darn it, just when I thought all was great at 16 weeks, I had to have a little spotting when I went to the bathroom today. Dark pink, couple drops in the toilet, then watery pink on the paper. My OB did the pap and swab 2 days ago at my appointment, and this episode was just after a bit of a effortful bowel movement (though not any more than usual). She did say that my cervix was very friable at my appointment, and had trouble stopping it from bleeding in one spot after the pap. I sure hope it's nothing! If only I had a doppler at home, I'd feel happier. As it is, I'll go in to work earlier on Monday and have a listen. Just go away, darned bleeding! There didn't seem to be anything going on inside when I popped in another progesterone pill, though my cervix felt weird compared to pre-pg. The cervix hole didn't feel as tightly closed as sometimes during my cycles, but maybe it's the high estrogen levels in pregnancy? Please God let this turn out ok! ETA: I think I've felt my uterus tightening up (from the outside of my belly, just gets really tight) a few times this evening, and am a little freaked out. I keep debating whether to go to the hospital for reassurance or not.
Re the house-hunting, we have two great possibilities that are radically different. One is more north end of the city in more of a suburb, 2 km from the subway, with 2 smallish kids rooms, big master with ensuite and sitting area, guest room, office and 3 piece on the lower level (it's a side split), and a large den down in the basement. Large laundry room. Big back yard, lots of trees. Quiet street, small parks close by. It's a really cute house, well renovated. Has a huge back deck and outdoor entertainment area. Lots of natural light. South-facing. 1 car garage, with room for another in the drive.
The other house is west of downtown, 1.5 blocks from the subway, easy walk to a great shopping/eating street, close to two big parks. It's 2 short blocks from a main street and faces east, with many windows facing west as well. It's a completely redone 80s bungalow that's had 2 extra stories put on it. But there's only a big master (with huge steam room shower, and a bathtub in the bedroom!) and one big other bedroom. 3rd floor has a huge loft entertainment room with 2 piece bath and mini bar, plus a room open to the staircase that could be a reading area or office. Tons of natural light with skylights and good windows throughout. The basement has a big rec room/office with a fairly sizeable window and stairs to the back courtyard (he slate tiled the small garden between the house and garage last year), 2 piece bath, office with one wall half height, and another office. No doors down there except on the bathroom. I'm pretty certain the second bedroom could be nice for two kids for the first few years, even if they didn't end up being the same sex. It has two big closets and an ensuite bathroom with shower and tub. Then when the kids get older, you could move one of them down to a room in the basement pretty easily, I think. We'd have to add a shower/bath to the bathroom down there though. The owner let us in today (rather than his real estate agent), and he obviously put top quality finishes into everything. He even designed everything himself, and was intending to live there for ages, only to find that he got bored when the renovations finished. He seemed very passionate about all the little details he put into the house. The 3rd floor isn't on central air or heat, but has a gas stove to heat it, and I think might have a separate A/C unit to cool it.
We're a little torn. The one is in a better/cooler location, for sure. The other is more obviously a family house. But I think the second could be made into one without too much effort. Not sure how expensive that would be though. We're wondering if we'd be crazy to buy this gorgeous house even though we're planning to have a couple kids, God willing. It will probably have a better resale value than the other one in the long run, as more houses on the street get bought up and renovated. Aack!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope the spotting has stopped - how scary - but it probably was from the pap. Post an update and let us know! And if the doppler will help - go get one!

Kristy said...

More than likely the spotting is from the pap. Why do they have to poking around in there right now? How long are you staying on the progesterone. My doc is having me stop at 13 weeks.

Victoria said...

Kate, hope the spotting is a result of the pap and nothing else.

As Kristy said, why was the pap done?

Hope tomorrow will shed better light.

IF Optimist, then... said...

Coming in late here, but want to say that I hope everything is fine and you are doing well. Please take gentle care of yourself. We don't want you to overdo it!