Tuesday, September 15, 2009

First day out house-hunting

I went out with our newly-chosen real estate agent this evening to look at a few places. For now she's showing me neighbourhoods, though she did take me to one house I've been dying to see for 2 weeks after we drove past it and saw the sign. The price recently dropped significantly. It was so cute! Big master bed and bath, plus two smaller bedrooms upstairs (though adequate to hold 2-3 kids and their beds and dressers). Smallish but adequate kitchen and dining room. Big living room. Big family room downstairs, along with what would make a nice office and a nice guest room with its own little ensuite. Huge backyard. Tall trees. Big windows and lots of natural light. I loved it.
Contrast that to two other houses on the street that DH liked from the outside. Big, boxy, way way overpriced. One just had too many huge rooms, with a poor layout. The other had a better layout, but they'd put in parquet floor and ugly pink tiles throughout. No way am I going to pay that kind of money for that kind of house! Just not appealing at all.
At least so far I definitely know what I do and don't like. We'll check out a couple more neighbourhoods tomorrow night, and then hopefully I'll get to see a bunch more houses on Thurs and Friday, and then on the weekend with DH. So far, it's kind of fun. I just hope we find something before Nov, so that we can get moving sorted before baby comes along in March. And before the housing market completely dries up/slows down for the Christmas break. The agent said Nov-Jan she has almost no work every year.
Exciting times!

3 comments:

Kristy said...

House hunting is so much fun (especially if it's your first home). Sounds like you found a contender.

Michelle said...

Oooooh, househunting, how exciting!! Craig and I always knew when it came time for us to buy our first home together (he owned the first one before I was in the picture) that there had to be a 'WOW' factor. It's different for everyone and people visiting may not appreciate YOUR wow factor. But if you find a house with that, you'll be able to overlook some minor inconveniences like tacky doorknobs or poor landscaping. Happy hunting!

Victoria said...

A nice new space is good for the new bundle. Have fun and hope you'll find the right place.