I had my second OB appointment yesterday. The nurse took my blood pressure (118/78), weighed me (64kg), and told me that all the tests from August (including the first trimester screen) looked good. Then she had a listen with the doppler, and took longer than I did to find the heartbeat. I almost forgot to whip out DH's recorder to capture it, since I'd promised to record it for him (he was out of town on business). He's never heard a baby's heartbeat before.
My OB did the physical and pap, and had trouble stopping my cervix from bleeding after that. I guess it's a good thing sex hasn't happened since I got pg... Nothing really since then though, so that was a relief. Since I've only gained a max of 1.5kg so far and am concerned about that, she gave me a stern talking-to about eating 3 meals + 3 snacks a day. And told me to think about buying breakfast replacement drinks to make up my caloric intake.
Then I made it to work late and had a brutal night on call. I did a ton of consults and a couple epidurals in the afternoon, and wandered by the OR desk to see we only had 2 short cases booked for the evening. Great - I'd have time to sort out my billing mistakes (I'd been having trouble figuring out how to bill for certain services, and needed to submit the billings by today in order to get paid mid October for my last 2 months of work) and get a good night's sleep.
Then the other cases started rolling in. And more darn women wanted epidurals. I only got 20 min for dinner because the surgeon who came in to do the one eye case of the evening couldn't get the microscope working that he needed to do the surgery. Apart from that, I barely sat down till 3:00am. I think I might have laid down for 15min, only to be called for an epidural top-up. Then I laid down and was called for a C-section. And laid down after that only to be called 10 min later to come and do another epidural. I started crying when they called me, and had to stop by the recovery room for cookies and apple juice (and to whine a little to the nurses there) before I went to do it. It took me 5 minutes to get there (after having asked the nurse to get the patient sitting up and ready), and she hadn't done anything to prepare for my arrival by the time I got there. Grr.
I finally got to bed at 5:45am, and managed to sleep off and on until 9:45am when I had to get up to sort out the billing mess and figure out how to submit the file to the ministry. I finished that stuff by about 2:30pm, and headed home on the long tedious bus and subway journey, only to realize I still had to do the 16 week bloodwork to rule out neural tube defects before the hospital lab downtown closed at 4pm. I made it there at 3:55pm, and thankfully they drew my blood.
The saving grace of the evening - even though I was always worried about not eating enough (had a couple small pieces of pizza at 12pm and then finally a decent dinner at 6:30pm) and not resting enough for baby - was that I snuck back to the ultrasound machine on L&D, prayed no one would come in or out of the lounge and walk past me while I was scanning myself, and had a peek at the baby. I couldn't get a profile view at all, just a skeletor weird face-on view. The kid was much bigger looking than last time. Nice juicy looking umbilical cord floating in there. It was totally curled up with knees right up in front of its belly, chin to chest, hands by ears/head. And still kicking away. I think I have an anterior placenta now, which probably means I won't feel the baby moving till later on. Darn - I was hoping for sometime week 16! When I first put the probe on, I saw the two femurs, and tried to see if it's a boy or girl - I'm thinking girl at this point, but am by no means at all good at getting that particular view of a baby. I'll be interested to hear what the radiologist has to say at our 19+ week ultrasound that's coming up.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Glad to hear the baby is well! I hope you have time to do some serious eating soon!
Congrats on making it to week 16. Sorry you had so much time on your feet, try to take it easy as much as you can and perhaps stuff some bananas and protein bars in your purse. Grab some hot steamed milk with cinnamon or honey in it too. I get a kick out of your ultrasound peaking adventures.
Great update! It sounds like work is going to be tough once you're farther along. Have you told your co-workers you're expecting yet?
I'm having trouble eating enough, too. Just not hungry and don't have time. We're supposed to be having 3 snacks/day on top of meals? Yikes. I'm getting three small meals a day and one snack. I think I look healthy, though, and I feel good.
I also enjoy your ultrasound peeking adventures! lol I am still waiting for my 20-week u/s!
Glad the baby is well. My friend gained 5 pounds during her pregnancy and had a healthy baby weighing just over 6 pound. She had terrible morning sickness.
But, I'm sounding like your nurse, "Make sure you eat more and I hope you'll be able to get more time for you, hubby and baby."
Post a Comment