Saturday, February 13, 2010

Full term as of yesterday

I hit 37 weeks yesterday.
I still can't believe I've gotten this far. Hopefully she'll hold out another 3 weeks to get a little bigger and let us get completely settled into the house. There will still be masses of boxes of books to unpack later on when we get some bookcases, but really, whenever she comes will be good.
It would be nice to get another couple weeks of decent income under my belt, since I was off all that time with the contractions, and with not doing any call since Sept, I've had a lot of other days off (on the days I should be pre-call or post-call). Since my disability insurance looked at my best last 12 months of income and picked the average income as the baseline for whether or not I'd be eligible for partial disability when I was working part-time in Dec, and much of those 12 months I was working as a poorly paid resident, it turns out I don't get any partial disability. And then my list yesterday which should have been a pretty good one ended up being cancelled mid-afternoon, leaving me with a day without work.
The other thing I did to celebrate 37 weeks? Pour half a cup of milk all over my laptop keyboard, lap desk, and our new leather sectional. Because the house is on a slight angle, the couch is on a slight angle, and the milk ran over the easy-to-clean leather cushion and down the crack between the back cushions and the fabric-covered spring base. Joy. The keys are acting up a little today and aren't as responsive as usual to me typing, but thank God the laptop survived its flood. And so far, the couch doesn't smell of sour milk. Hope it stays that way!
We've got about 1 week more to go on our reno. The painter is scheduled to start on Monday (a holiday), a bit more has to be done on the electrical, and little stuff has to get done, like installing the built-in bench behind the back door and putting shelves in the linen area in the bathroom. It will be so great to have it all finished and be able to put crap in the storage room. Clear some stuff out of the garage and into the basement where it belongs, including the guest bed. Can't wait!
The kitchen is fairly organized now. And today I washed baby clothes and sheets and towels and washcloths for the first time, put together the crib, and got a couple things organized. All of a sudden the whole baby thing feels more real, even though she's constantly reminding me of her presence by the kicks and shifts and wiggles throughout the day. Some of them get the whole belly shaking by centimeters from side to side. Crazy!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

37 weeks! You look amazing! I hope she gives you several more weeks still. Good luck with getting settled at the house and with the renovation.

Sunny said...

Congrats on being full term!! How exciting!! It sounds like your due date is the same as mine was with my son, March 5th. Which was exactly the day he came into the world, in fact. Labor started on the 4th. Good luck to you!

My ticker is counting down to my C-section, not my due date. I need to have that countdown to help pass the time on bedrest, even though there's almost no chance I'll make it that long. It's all mental. :)

Eileen said...

YAY for 37 weeks!!! You have the cutest baby belly ever I swear. I am going to be GINORMOUS by 37 weeks at the rate I am going. I am so jealous!

K said...

Congrats on full term day! The belly looks fab! :)

Ugh reno sucks but one year from today it will all feel like a distant memory!

Anonymous said...

What a great milestone - I am thrilled for you. I will keep my fingers crossed for both of us - that our little ones give us 3 more weeks!

Maya said...

So happy for you!

Paula Keller said...

Awww your belly is so cute!

I'm kicking myself for not getting Aflack or something like that, because all of my time off will be unpaid. Although my school year ends in June, so for FMLA I could technically have 3 months off before June, and another 3 months after June (which doesn't even start until the end of August when I'm due back at work). It's just the NOT getting paid part that bites. Oversharing, I know, but just saying I can somewhat relate.

I spilled juice on my keyboard and the keys are sticky. But they are better than they were right after I did it.

Happy 37 weeks!

Carrie said...

YOU COULD NOT BE CUTER! I am so very happy you are in this awesome place right now- home and pregnancy!

I cannot believe how much I've missed lately but I smiled a huge grin when I saw your belly full of baby at 37 weeks!!!!

Kate said...

You look GREAT! Truly Kate, amazingly great.
Sounds like the house projects are coming along nicely, so very sorry about the milk catastrophe, gosh darn. With luck your sofa will smell like milk from your baby so you cannot be mad about the spill. Right?

So-- congratulations on full term! I think that is just great. Amazing considering all the scary stuff, I think. I am so very very happy for you!

xo
kate

Once Upon A Time said...

Congrats on 37 weeks! How great that you get to really indulge in your nesting with all the house stuff you've got going on. I hope your little one waits until you've got all the renos done- That would be fantastic!

IF Optimist, then... said...

I am so glad and relieved that you are here at 37 weeks and going strong. You're in the new house, getting lots done. Truly excellent. Lets hope that little one will hang out a while to give you guys the couple of extra weeks you need for finishing some house projects. So glad you made it through the tough time with all of the contractions and now you are here and everyone is healthy.

Dandle Dreams said...

What a fantastic belly. Hope that you continue to cook for a few more weeks so you have time to get the house all set up.

Me said...

You look fantastic! Good luck with everything!!!

Jules a.k.a. Julie said...

Yay for full term! I hope your lil girly stays but so that you can get things all ready for her! :-)

Jill M. said...

I foresee lots more spilt milk, that was just a practice run. Very cute full-term belly! I'm terrified that my belly is still bigger than yours and I'm only 21w! I'm going to bet that you go over-due! ;-)

MMC said...

Congratulations! Good luck with everything. :)