Friday, February 26, 2010

39 weeks today!

Here's the belly at 39 weeks tonight (crummy photos once again because I didn't take them when I first got home and there was something other than halogen bathroom lights to take the photo in.
After a couple longish runs of frequent 40-50s tightenings on Wed night, things petered out and I haven't had much action since. Darn it! This evening things are finally feeling a little different again - more pressure on my pelvic bones, a little less comfy when walking. And I'd finally kind of like to get my waist back to myself again so that I can pull on boots and snowpants in bad weather without feelig like I'm about to take out a rib (or squish the baby).
My Mum emailed on Thurs to see about this weekend. She wants to bring a Pack and Play and some other stuff up for the baby, but doesn't want to leave it sitting in her car in a parking lot while she's at the hospital. She also visited my brother and his family 1.5 weeks ago and (as usual) came home with a nasty cold that she's finally starting to get over. So though we'd been ok with her coming on Sat and going home Sun until we deliver, with the unpredictable winter weather, she asked if it was ok with us both if she came up on Sunday (to have more time to recover fully from the cold) and stayed until the baby's born. Then she'd go home and come back when we went home.
Well, our plan was for her to be at the delivery and then go home when we come home so that we can have the first week on our own to get used to our lives with a baby. And sort things out on our own. And then we'd let her come back for a visit. Very very different to what she was proposing.
I emailed her last night after a long discussion with DH, who really wants us to enjoy a few last peaceful days as a couple without having other people staying with us. Because even when Mum tries to keep herself entertained, she still needs us to talk to her and do things with her and feed her on time etc. We told her that we're pretty worried about catching a cold from her just before the baby's born, making my recovery and settling in much harder. And that we don't think we'll desperately need the pack and play during the first week we're at home, so we'd prefer to let her know when labour starts and have her come up then. And then leave us for a week before coming back for momre of a visit.
I kept thinking all day that I'd see an email back from her, but nope, there was nothing. I thought she must be totally offended that we said we wanted some peace and quiet. I saw she was online tonight after work though, so we had a 'phone' conversation. She didn't really mention it such, though she did drop a couple hints about the first week being the hardest and mothers being useful at times. It's too bad that my first loyalty is to DH now. And that I'd find it a strain to keep her here for 2 weeks (potentially) waiting for baby. All in all, that went better than I thought.
I've had a few more longer contractions tonight, but no change in the cervix yet. And I think it still has some effacing to go. I swear my pelvis is feeling more full of baby head though. Hopefully the time is night, although I wouldn't mind working my final four days too.
We still have a few minor things left to be done on the reno, and the electrician has yet to come by, even though he was supposed to show up "tomorrow" to finish off about 3 times this week. I think we're going to start getting some of our things organized in the basement this weekend though (unless we're havaing our baby, that is!).
Now it's time for bed - looking forward to it, now that I've stayed up too late yet again.

10 comments:

Clare said...

Tough one on the mommy front - but i think you handled it well. I am so dreading dealing with my MIL, I know she ain't gonna give us any peace..aaaah. Well at least we live in a different country and the house we are building has only one bedroom :)

Good luck!!

Jill M. said...

Dealing with family and the birth of your child is always such a touchy stressful subject. Hope everything works out perfectly for you and that you get a good balance of help and the time you need to yourself. You're looking great!!! Can you believe your little girl will be in your arms soon!?! So exciting!

Anonymous said...

You look fabulous! I cannot believe you are 39 weeks - so happy for you!

Susie said...

Hi there,
Delurking to say congrats and best wishes in the next few days/week. Hopefully things will start to move quickly!
In case things change or you are wanting other folks perspective on the Mom front, I've got to say that although at times my Mom can drive me crazy having her with us the first week was soooo helpful. I wasn't sure if I'd want her there, but it ended up being a great blessing. Our house was cleaned, we had dinner cooked for us each night and she helped me with some breastfeeding issues also. Granted, having that visit the second week is great, too :) I hope however it works out you're happy with the decision and all goes well!! Excited to hear when the little one arrives.

K said...

he role they want to play versus the role you want them to play. It sounds like you're doing the best you can to handle the situation well!

YAY for 39 weeks!!

Sunny said...

39 weeks, what an exciting time! Congratulations! I'm glad you were able to talk to your mom about your wishes for her visit. I wouldn't have wanted my mom to stay the last few days/weeks of being "just a couple" either. That being said, after my son was born we literally counted down the minutes until my parents' plane landed. We needed them BADLY. lol

Kate said...

I'm not above begging her to come back early if we can't handle it on our own. Just trying to respect DH's wishes to try to manage with just the two of us. We'll see how it goes!

Shelly said...

Love the belly! I can't wait to hear that you are in labor and headed to the hospital!

Kate said...

holy beautiful baby belly Kate!
30 week, huzzah! take THAT irritated uterus! I wish on you peace in your home and a sweet delivery.

xox
Kate

Karen said...

I'm with your Mom!After waiting sooooooooooooooo long for my son and his wife to conceive I'm on my way to Boston as soon as I get THE call. However I am staying in a hotel.Not because I want to that's for sure.But I want to give this new precious family some private time.Not to much though....lol

Praying your little one decides to make his appearance to this world soon.....Karen