Monday, February 22, 2010

1 cm dilated, head below spines

I got dragged back in against my will for another doctor's appointment today. Rushed downtown by cab and subway to get there, and only arrived 20min late (kind of as planned, since I still had to get a colleague to take over my OR for the last hour of my day).
They told me my BP was low at 95/60 (I told them it was fine). They didn't bother to weigh me, thankfully. With all the cupcakes I ate over the weekend (I used up my one remaining pack of cake mix and icing to make cupcakes for DH's 43rd birthday), I'm sure I packed on a pound or two.
Then it was time to wait and wait for my BPP. They didn't tell me a score, but her heart rate was up at 169/min (she'd just been wiggling around). I saw the practice breathing. The umbilical artery flow looked good, and she had nice pockets of fluid, I think. Once again, her femur was shortish, belly had nearly caught up, and her head was far too low to get any measurements.
Then I had to wait and wait for the cervical check I wasn't so excited to get. It wasn't too bad when he did it, and I was totally surprised when he told me I'm already 1cm dilated, and that the head is below spines. I've done epidurals for women in labour at 3-4cm with the head 2-3cm above spines.
I mentioned it to DH when I called to let him know I was going to stop by the grocery store on the way home, and he was in shock. I think he's going into panic mode now. He knew we're about to have a baby, but it wasn't all that real until I told him things are slowly getting underway.
So now we wait and see. And I go in to work as usual (even though DH thinks it's strange for me to do that), because I don't think I could handle sitting around at home waiting for things to actually happen.

17 comments:

Eileen said...

I am so excited for you! I hope you are going to post pics for us!

Eileen said...

I forgot to say Good luck!!!!

Shelly said...

I am excited for you!

K said...

YAY!! This is really happening and thank God right on time! Please keep us posted!!

AND I don't blame you for going to work- I would too. It helps take your mind off of things.

MMC said...

Wow. Finally coming... and I just knew you were going to arrive at the finish line first! :)

MMC said...

Ooops. I forgot to say Good Luck, too! :D

IF Optimist, then... said...

Oh you are getting so close. How exciting. Wishing you and your little one a good and healthy outcome.

sprogblogger said...

Ack! So exciting! Ack!

Kristy said...

How exciting! I'm so happy to hear that you are still working. Everyone seems to think I'm crazy for thinking I can work right up until labour.

Anonymous said...

Yay!!! I hear you - I am sitting around at home waiting for things to happen - mostly because I cannot walk! - but it is excruciating!

Once Upon A Time said...

Sitting around waiting for something to happen is hard, I've discovered in the last two days. I wish my body would let me keep working.

I can't wait to hear how things progress for you! Your little one is almost here!

Jules a.k.a. Julie said...

Very exciting! Hope all goes super smoothly!!

Michelle said...

What does, "below spines," mean?

Good luck over the next couple of weeks Kate!! I don't blame you for working up to the end. I figure if you're physically able, why not! You'll get to spend longer at home with your daughter in the end.

Jill M. said...

You're getting so close and making perfect progress! I think the cupcakes fattened your little girl up, lol.

Anonymous said...

not long now!!

Clare said...

Good luck Kate!! Wishing you the best xx

Anonymous said...

Baby will be here before you know it. It must be nice actually knowing what the doctor is talking about when he or she throws out numbers and terms. Can't wait to hear the next update!