Sunday, October 18, 2009

Anxiety strikes again

Well, I got up at 6am to pop in my prometrium pills, and my cervix felt really short and smushy. I spent the next two hours lying awake in bed, then finally got up and moved to the couch so I could read and distract myself. I continue to have the damn tightenings. Some hours many more than others, then a break for a couple hours. I don't think they're really any different than what I've been having for the last 4 weeks.
Now I'm wishing I'd begged to have Tues off for the weekly u/s check of the cervix, and keep thinking to myself whether I'll know if/when I should go to L&D to be assessed, and which L&D I should go to. If I do end up in prem labour, I want to deliver at one of the hospitals my current OBs aren't associated with, because they have a better NICU and high risk team. And if I show up at their triage one day in a panic because I'm having more tightenings or am just freaking out, will they be pissed off with me? At least most of the L&D nurses and the staff docs (OB and anesthesia) know me there, so hopefully there'd be a little professional courtesy at least.
And I'm also wishing I hadn't picked myself the private endoscopy clinic list for tomorrow, but rather the gen surgery list with 4 cases. Instead, I have 15 endoscopies (colonoscopy or gastroscopy). But the day I did 16 at the same clinic a couple weeks back, I was able to spend the whole day eating and drinking, running to the bathroom whenever I needed to, and was done by 2:15pm, which was really really nice. Oh well, I'm signed up for it now.
I just wish Thursday were here already to give me more answers about my cervix, and that the next 8 weeks would just fly by. What I wouldn't give to have safely passed the 28 week mark! I am still very very grateful to be past the 20 week mark this weekend though, don't get me wrong. After tomorrow, only 3.5 weeks to go till we hit viability. And the 2004-2007 stats from the NICU I'd want to be at if I go particularly early showed really good outcomes after 28 weeks. This kid had just better stay put till 2010!

5 comments:

Kate said...

this is all so scary, youre handling it very well. Are your doctors just as concerned as you are about this or do they think "these things happen" and all will be well?

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry that you have to go through this!

Do whatever you think is best for you, your sanity and the baby - to hell with what others may think!

IF Optimist, then... said...

Take it as easy as you can. Woo hooo on getting through each week. Make that little girl in there understand that it isn't fashionable to show up early for the party and keep in there 'til 2010!

Mary said...

I keep thinking the same thing when I start to have contractions and tightening...will they laugh at me if I go to the hospital? Will it have just stopped by then? Is this serious or absolutely nothing and I'm just neurotic? Humph. Then my husband always says, 'who the hell cares what these people think, this is our child!'

He's right.

If your freaking out. Go in. You'll feel better.

The P17 has stopped my contractions by about 80%. It took a few days for it to kick in, but it does work. I wish you could start on it as well.

Let me know how things are going. 28 weeks will be here in no time.

Anonymous said...

Hello,
I've been a lurked on your blog for a few weeks. I hope I don't offend you by telling you this. But, it is quite serious if your cervix is shortening. Once it fully opens, there's not much doctors can do to fix it. At 22 weeks, I lost my mucus plug. I went to the LD and they told me my cervix was only a few millimeters long. Because it was so short and I was having contractions (though, I didn't feel them), I was not a canidate for a cerclage. I was put on bedrest and given meds for my contractions. It worked for 1 week. At 23 weeks, I went into full blown labor. My daughter, being too small to make it, died during birth. Again, I'm hoping I don't upset you. I just felt compelled to tell you this so that you push your doctors to take this seriously. If you feel weird, then get it checked out. Please. Sending you good thoughts!