Tuesday, October 20, 2009

2 days till the next check

Thanks for the comments on my last post. My contractions certainly aren't regular, and I find I have a couple times a day where I have a few in a row, and then things really settle down. Or they'll be super short tightenings or kind of focal rather than all-over ones lasting over a minute.
My cervix is back to feeling pretty much like its usual self. It's weird - I've noticed over the last 4 weeks of this that the part that sticks into the vagina (which is only a part of the total length) really feels variable to me. Sometimes it feels firmer and longer (like 2.5-3cm?), other times a little softer and shorter (1.5-2cm). It felt softer and shorter when I went in for the ultrasound last week, and it measured even longer than usual, so I don't know quite what to make of things.
I am definitely taking this very seriously though, which is why I talked my way into weekly cervical checks, and why I'm such a nut about keeping a hand on my belly to make sure I don't miss a huge whack of painless contractions. They seem to be worse before meals, and with a full bladder or bowel. So for now I'm eating and drinking lots, chilling out, lying down as much as possible when I'm at home, and trying to keep regular.
The kid is starting to get more active in there these days, or else I'm feeling things more. Last night I thought she might have flipped because the movements I'd felt on the lower left were now on the upper right, but then I started feeling them in both spots pretty close in time. I guess now she's not just kicking hard, but punching hard too. My favourites are the front-of belly kicks that I can feel from the outside. The ones where she's kicking inside up into my guts are a little stranger. But still very nice. I love feeling that she's doing ok in there. If not for all the tightenings, life would be great!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that she sounds like she is doing so well!!! I hope the tightening stops too.

one-hit_wonder said...

oh i hope the tightening stops!

Michelle said...

Feeling a life inside our bodies is such an incredible blessing and terrifying at the same time. How is it possible that we've been given this gift?! So glad to hear you're enjoying the movements. I love every single nudge. :)

Hopefully you're able to determine real labour when it eventually comes (not for months, hopefully!) and that you won't be used to the contractions by then. At least you have the best excuse to sit on your duff on moving day!