Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Thank God, I can start getting back to work!

I had another appointment today. The kid got me a little worried because she was so quiet this morning and while I was waiting for my turn. She finally started moving a little more just before I got called in for the ultrasound.

BP: 110/78. Weight 71.5kg (started at 62.5). She looked good on the scan, now up to the 35th percentile (from 27.5th last time), weighing in at a guestimated 933g, or just over 2 pounds. Lots of amniotic fluid (I'd been a little worried fluid might have been leaking cause my belly isn't big, and I've had some very liquidy oozing from the progesterone suppositories at times), I think the AFI was above 16. As far as I know, the umbilical artery doppler showed good flow.

She was kind of obliquely positioned, with her head on the lower left, and her butt and legs up on the upper right. Any time my uterus has tightened up the last couple days, I've had a huge bulge on the upper right - very lopsided.

For the first time, they didn't measure her heartbeat during the scan (or measure it with a doppler), so I guess everything else was looking good enough that they didn't have to worry.

Then the moment of truth: my cervix is still at 5cm! I'm just so grateful. Dr S told me he'd take me off progesterone tonight if he thought I'd do it, but that he really wants me off it by 28 weeks. I'm not sure why, and didn't really ask. I decided that I'll cut back to 200mg at night (from twice a day) for now and see how it goes for about 1.5 weeks before considering going off it entirely. I don't have a problem with the supplements, and I'm not overly worried that they're doing bad things to my baby. I also aced the 1h glucose tolerance test (1h glucose = 5.6), so no worries about gestational diabetes here, despite the PCO history. Yay! I'd hate to have to follow a diet.

So I've been cleared to go back to work! I've got 3 days next week, and then 3-4 days the week after. I'm really looking forward to it. One of the OR desk clerks was so sweet when I phoned in to say I can work again - she said she'd just been asking if anyone had heard from me that morning, and was so relieved to hear all is well. I love my workplace. It's like a big happy family for the most part.

We're still waiting for quotes on the basement reno. Sounds like $29000 is one of them. We'd been hoping for more like $20000, based on what our designer had guessed. We'll see what the other quote comes in at - should have it by Friday, I hope.

Mover is picked, dates booked, service elevator reserved.

Car decision is slowly getting there. DH wants to get it asap (which means it'll arrive in March). I'd be happier if we got it in May, just before I go back to work. Or even later than that. Really, I can't see either of us driving it much when I'm off work and he's working from home. He seems to think that we won't be able to handle grocery shopping with a baby without it. Winters here haven't been so horrible lately, and I think I'd be fine to pack her in a sling, bundle up, and take my little shopping pull-cart (if you know what I mean) the 8 blocks to the grocery store. I'll enjoy the exercise. We'll see who wins this argument.

House insurance is down to two companies, and we're waiting on their quotes to arrive by mail to review the fine print and come to a decision.

House alarm is another question. Do we get cellular backup installed for $200-250 and pay the additional monthly monitoring fee, or do we cave in and get a cheap landline? We've lived with cell phones and no land line for 5 years, and it's been great. TV and internet provider is another question too. Guess I'll start calling around and organizing that next week.

But for now, despite all the uncertainties about house stuff, I'm a very happy camper. 27 weeks on Friday, cervix holding strong despite the continued tightenings, and a baby that's growing on track. Thank you God - I never thought I'd get this far when all started up at 16w2d.

5 comments:

Jill M. said...

I'm jealous of your cervical length! I'm only at 3, boo! I understand the weaning fear. I'm getting quite nervous about dropping to 1 progesterone supp at only 11 weeks, ahhhh, does the worry ever stop??? As you said, each reassuring u/s seems to only give a few hours of rest before the worry kicks back in.

Congrats on passing the glucose test and being cleared to go back to work.

As always, thanks for your comments on my blog, they are always helpful and many times comforting to read.

Jules a.k.a. Julie said...

So glad that you can start back to work, but take it easy :-) You have so much on your plate right now with pregnancy, the move, etc.! I hope all goes smoothly!!!

Michelle said...

It sounds like everything is going really well!! You're doing a great job growing your daughter. :)
You're going back to work in May?

IF Optimist, then... said...

So glad to hear the good news that everything is fine and you'll be able to get back to work for a while. It also sounds like you got a ton of stuff accomplished while you weren't able to work. Good job! Hoping the next couple of months are smooth sailing with a very happy ending.

Dandle Dreams said...

Sounds like everything is perfect. I am so happy that things look good for you. I hope that things stay uneventful, and that you are able to enjoy being back at work for as long as possible.