I phoned the second contractor on Monday for an update. Got an email back late that night saying that he'd gone to the house last Thurs and no one had answered the door. My biggest fear realized. Had I only kept my fingers off my email for another few hours, we might have been ok. He said he'd try again this Thursday, but really, time's slipping away from me and I want to get this booked.
I contacted my realtor to see if she can help facilitate the visit to make sure it happens this week. Still no sign of the plans/drawings/permits/surveys. I'll have to call her again today to see what's going on. I hope things all work out.
I guess worst case scenario is that we book the contractor we have the quote from, who's redone our real estate agent's house and multiple other places for people I know, who works a lot with our designer, and who I've been assured usually has a good price and does great work. At least with him I feel like we have some pull - if he screws anything up, he's going to be motivated to fix it to our satisfaction in order to continue being recommended by our agent and designer. This other guy? Not so much. I just really really want to have another number in hand to just be sure we're in the right ballpark. It's too bad DH hadn't wanted me to find a third contractor to give us a quote, or they'd have already been through with us and we'd have a means for comparison.
Oh well. It's probably worth a couple thousand dollars extra (possibly) to get the work done in the exact time frame we want it done in, so that I'm not dealing with hammering and a screaming newborn at the same time. I want to have it all decided by the end of this week - we'll see what happens. Just pray it's the right decision!
On a more positive note, my mother's visit is going well so far. And she's planning to buy us our car seat and a crib. And will do the legwork on the crib for us - we're supposed to give her a good idea of the style and colour we're looking for, and she'll make sure it arrives. Sounds fantastic to me! She gave me a great diaper bag from LeS.portS.ac for my birthday along with some other cute things. Blankie, onesies, night light. And she brought along an album she'd made up of my childhood photos, and has written up my baby and childhood history too, which I might just have to read this afternoon. Interestingly, she'd always gone on in the past about how my brother was 2 weeks less premature than me (I'm a 34 weeker), but he'd been the sickly one. And she felt so bad that she had to give up breastfeeding him for some reason at 3-4 months. Well, looking back through her notes on me, I supposedly had tons of ear infections and was constantly sick, and she gave up feeding my at 3-4 months because she got pg with him. Hm. All those years of favouring him a little because he was the "delicate one" - apparently not necessary!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
Yikes this all sounds like such a headache! That sucks that the owner is not being too cooperative now. In this market you'd think he's be very enthusiastic....
Ah, Kate, I misread your title as "Housestaff is going to do me in!" Funny what our brains make us see (since I know you're an MD). Hang in there with all the house stUff. Thinking of you.
Mo
K - Well, the contract's signed, so there's no incentive for him to help us out more than necessary. He was being unusually nice before, but now that I've pissed him off by standing up for us... Damn.
Mo - I misread stuff all the time, just see what I want to see.
I hope that the current homeowner decides to be more co-operative. Phew that sounds like a place where there doesn't have to be any stress, but hey you can always dream. Your mom's gifts sound really fabulous and she is wonderful to help you out. Yay for great moms!
Boo for the house and contractor stuff. I hope you get a resolution soon! Yay for your mom helping you out and doing the leg work on the crib. How exciting! I've got my crib stored from when my son arrived home from Korea in March 2003. In Korea, the entire family sleeps together on the floor so he was having no part of the crib when he arrived home at 7 months. Seriously, he slept in the crib perhaps 10 times and then we were too exhausted to fight for crib sleeping anymore! I am looking forward to getting my money out of the crib this time :-)
Sorry for your hassles. I hope things get easier soon. Moving and renovating is such a hassle. My only major project before baby comes is some bathroom renovations in January, and even THAT stresses me out. I wish I'd taken care of it last winter when I'd intended to.
That house stuff is certainly stressful. It'll all be over soon. Glad to hear things are going well with the pregnancy. Thanks for your thoughtful comments on my blog!!
Post a Comment